UART issue on high-voltage VESCs

Not rawk trucks but yes

I guess the raw trucks and raw motor gears are the main problem. Anyway I just printing riser pads so I can isolate the trucks from the deck.

I would have expected that, considering that raw carbon fiber is conductive, things would already be well insulated but you bring up a very good point in case they are not. The epoxy covering the fiber itself makes it non-conductive but we canā€™t always depend on that.

Thank you for mentioning this!

2 Likes

Only issue is your truck hardware is still metal which connects the truck to the deck. In my case I am using oil slick Matrix II trucks with Newbee 4GS/TB6380 motors.

1 Like

Arnt his decks composite?

Any reason why a Davega would work on a d75 but freeze on the main screen on a d100?

No other factors? You just swap d75 for d100, leaving everything else the same?

Yeah all the same. Tried swapping tx and Rx but that just made it slower to get through the boot screen

1 Like

Thatā€™s very strange indeed. Could you please make a short vid of the freezing?

Edit: Maybe it doesnā€™t really freeze? Maybe youā€™re just running an old DAVEGA firmware, which doesnā€™t report that VESC connection canā€™t be established. Instead, it just gives you red blinks. If thatā€™s the case, the root cause could be that UART is not enabled on the D100.

UART is definitely enabled. I removed a functioning bt module from that port. I believe davega firmware was 5.06

1 Like

Iā€™m using a v1.0 davega with a d100s, with the latest davega release candidate FW, and it works well.

Every once in a while the davega seems to corrupt and the screen goes wonky, but it works perfect on turning on/off the board.

1 Like

In hindsight it may have been a bt scramble. Just doing a can scan no writing changed two of my idā€™s. Davega was still seeing 4 sides on boot but the BT module would only see 3.

Iā€™ll redo firmware and give it another go and also try with the Davega not mounted to rule out if itā€™s the carbon fibre issue thatā€™s been mentioned.

1 Like

VESC seems to be very temperamental with CAN

Setup on this board actually went really well with 5.3. None of the old firmware nonsense, 4wd motor detection worked straight up. Can was all good with the cable. I only use bt to read but Iā€™ve never had just that screw with idā€™s the way it did.

1 Like