Tyres, grip and why Mikey won.

You mean on a race track in general? That’s interesting and I thought you’d want soft in front for grip in turns especially with it having less downward force when accelerating. (I’m guessing maybe you end up with more control and the front starting to slide out a bit before the rear you can adjust and stay up. I have no idea)

Why think about efficiency when going for grip and don’t know why u mention it above

I plan to heat tires as much as possible or maybe try some type of polyurethane softener to see if I won’t just spin snd lift when accelerating

Grip efficiency. duro hardness , contact patch size, loading, temperature and road surface are all factors that determine if a tires grip potential is being utilized.

Board loading for me is front 70% 30% rear. More load requires a harder duro to hit the desired tire grip efficiency window when lateral force is applied. A soft tire requires less load Force to make it to maximum grip efficiency than a harder compound tire. Remember that at a point the optimal grip to weight ratio falls off as you add weight.

4 Likes

interesting how grip and weight aren’t linearly correlated and an ideal grip efficiency could be figured but in our situation with skate races having no power limit we have access to limitless torque to overcome the weight and it seems the more weight the better until no more grip is gained, if there is such a point.

2 Likes

The grippiest and most fun wheels I have are without a single doubt my chunky 125 airless rubbers, and it’s entirely due to the extremely wide, and only ever so slightly curved, contact patch.
The corners I can pull on those fuckers are insane. I don’t race, but on a track race, I definitely wouldn’t rock anything else, except maybe stooge wheels cuz they’re super wide as well.

They’re super soft? U got a pic?

I plan to get one of these abs see how they do with pu:

Claims of both increasing grip and tire durability sounds too much to be true.

2 Likes

They’re pure unobtanium unfortunately, lemme pull em out…

1 Like

I’ve literally ridden them in a hurricane and still hit like 25mph.

1 Like

I imagine they don’t roll well, I mean not efficiently, but if ur not pushing and going for max grip who cares

Changing from 100mm hyperdrives to these cut my range by around 60%
Massively inefficient, but best ride I’ve found. I bust em out here and there, can’t get more so I don’t wanna wear em out too fast, and don’t like murdering my range all the time either.

1 Like

Be ideal if those tire softeners work with pu and end up with a super soft surface and more rigidity underneath. I think they’re nasty chems though

I’d tape off the sides and only hit the contact patch. I’ve been wanting to do the opposite with rit dye, could make some sexy wheels. Black hyperdrives with purple edges or some shit.

1 Like

There was a dude rocking the Stooge BRP wheels and he wasn’t doing very well either. In fact, he preferred to run a different board. Not sure what tyres he had on the other one.

Edit: The size of the contact patch on those beasts was one of the things that got me thinking about pressure and grip incidentally. I couldn’t try them myself sadly cos he had regular bindings and I’m goofy. Not the first time I’ve missed out on a test drive, as you can imagine.

3 Likes

Goofy gang goofy gang goofy gang! The wider the contact patch, the less likely to LOSE grip, I think. And with rounded edges like my airless, I can’t confirm, but it really feels like when I turn hard on them, Im using an entirely different contact patch then when I’m going straight.
I want some rounded stooge wheels now.

2 Likes

There is no optimal tire/wheel for all track surfaces. A smooth shiny concrete surface that is CLEAN can be very grippy, if it is dusty the dirt has no where to settle and becomes part of the contact patch. A narrow hard tire will perform better cutting through the dust an forcing a cleaner contact patch much as a lugged tire does in compact dirt.

5 Likes

Keep in mind we have found that 200mm kendas tend to fold their sidewalls under extreme turns, which is sketchy af to experience lol

2 Likes

Damn wtf. eh on our short track races we take turns under 15mph, so I’m not too worried.

still waitin to see some 150mm urethanes… even 125…
those upcoming* cloud wheel tires actually look pretty dope too.

That is a scary feeling. Stretched them right after and they don’t seem to fold, they lose grip way before. They are really good for street but have very little traction for short track. Still fun but not competitive compared to metro 155 or stooge tires.

great thread really informative
now im feeling pretty good to add some street wheels on my heavy mtb to do cart track races like tht one

2 Likes

Another reason why Mikey won.
Skillzzzz

2 Likes