Tubeless tires discussion

Not sure if we are talking about this, or if it is even feasible for Esk8, but cars have been doing this for a long time now and it seems to be working! Anyone been thinking about this?

Part of the challenge here is that most of our hubs are modular. We would need a new style of hub.

5 Likes

like the @dickyho airless?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-inch-145X40-airless-wheel-for-electric-skateboard-longboard-with-wheel-pulley/303037087821?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225080%26meid%3D9ee07acfe0a84feda02673d04d36aa3d%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D15%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D153724538021%26itm%3D303037087821%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ad4166f03-8020-11ea-b45d-0e4baf4fb02f|parentrq%3A84adaf4d1710a4b77ce9bce4ffde1f32|iid%3A1

I’ve been rocking these for about a year on my go-to board

1 Like

That’s cool! Tried any pnumies you could compare them to? Is it also possible to change the rubber once it gets worn out?

I have TB Pneumatics and Trampa superstars with MBS rubber. These a a touch harder, but not harsh like a urethane wheel. Good range. I’ve long worn the tread right off, still rides great. Killed the original bearings, now on the second set, still rides great. I’ll ride them until I start feeling the rim :joy:

I like them as good or better than the TB rubber, as far as feel goes, though the TB wheel is softer even at max press. These wheels are actually quite well balanced off the shelf. I’ve gone as fast as 27mph and they were super smooth, maxing out the 10s Deep Purple 1 of 2. The TB’S are on 12s Deep Purple 2 of 2

7 Likes

I can also vouch for the dicky ho airless tires. Not as comfy as pneumatics but definitely feel more confident on them than thane. The default gear ratio is more torque than speed

3 Likes

I almost just put one of theses in my cart just now. For science.

#Aliexpress US $5.92 6%OFF | 6X2 Solid tire 6x2 Pneumatic tyre inner tube Electric Scooter Wheel Chair Truck Use 6" Tire Tyre F0 Pneumatic Trolley Cart

5 Likes

I’ve been curious about theses

Fellas, not airless…tubeless, like a car tire, with air, but no tube

12 Likes

@Skyart Setting up skateboard pneumatics 100% tubeless will be extremely difficult as you have rims that split in half to be able to mount/dismount tires

You would need to tape down the rim with tubeless tape, install tubeless stem then find a tire that can be mounted over the bead of the rim. Last but not least. Pour 1.5oz of sealant inside the tire once it’s all assembled

5 Likes

Oh yeah. You will need either an air compressor or a high flow pump to be able to create a seal between tire and hub

2 Likes

thanks for your input! I was on the fence about these and you just tipped me over the edge =D

2 Likes

I mean that’s one way to skin a cat.

11 Likes

Tubeless wheel/tire combo actually seats completely different than tube. If you look at any tubeless rim, there is a flat surface on each side sometimes with a hook, as every tubeless car/bike rim is. That is where the sealing surface is. The tire bead is also slightly undersize to create this seal. A tube rim seats against the lip of the rim.

The important difference is that a tire seated against just the lip of the rim may hold air without a tube, but any hard cornering will deflect the sidewall and may cause a blowout if the tire pulls the bead of the tire away from the rim. A tubeless system does not allow this because the rim captures the bead of the tire all the way around.

What this would mean is completely new rim design with an industry standard requirement and all tires be manufactured to this tubeless standard. Otherwise without this compatibility, not safe or possible.

8 Likes

ye, i feel ya…

cat

7 Likes

Agree 100% for the need of a new rim design/standard…

Mountainboards wheels have tubes/valves but are not supposed to handle braking/acceleration.

On the other hand, 12" or 10" Escooter hubmotors are tubeless (like cars) and a supplier told me that it’s compulsory to avoid shearing the valve.

Airless tires could be an option to save weight.

2 Likes

My bajaboard (10in tires with tubes) would shear stems from hard breaking with lower psi.

Tubeless would be nice for many street applications, anyone know how low of a psi you can use with a tubeless with dimensions similar our typical 200x50 tires?

@kook, you do Moto, thoughts?

1 Like

A proper tubeless setup with bead lock should be good down to 20ish PSI for 50mm wide… Maybe even less if not aggressive turning… Kind of depends on the tire casing construction and how stiff the sidewall is.

3 Likes

I’ve ridden these tires (the regular non-solid versions) on one of my builds for a couple years and like them a lot. Never tried converting them to tubeless though… following :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ernesto made a video talking about new workshop and upcoming Kaly XL-R. At 22:25 he is saying that it will be running tubeless tires. This seem to be first time we are seeing tubeless tires, right? The tires are 8.5x3 that are commonly seen on electric scooters and will be sitting on 5 inch hubs.

kaly

6 Likes

Sure is a lot of work to deal with when you do have issues but I’d hope that problems world be vastly less common.

Source: parent runs tubeless bikes and changes tires many times a year.

If you are ever in a pinch you can run a tube inside a tubeless tire btw

4 Likes