TS100 soldering iron thread

Except MarcoRep’s review literally shows it soldering to a ground plane twice as fast as the TS100. One moment. 7:30

5 Likes

I got the TS80, had it for a year and a half. Friend has the TS100. Tried both. They both work very well. Build quality is nicer on the TS80. if you care about that.

4 Likes

the real deal and hilarious

5 Likes

That’s interesting to see. I wrote that all above but I’ll still buy the TS80 because:

I do care about build quality and 10 seconds is nothing to me for the limited soldering I do personally.

6 Likes

I needed this thread. Been thinking about a new soldering iron ever since I finally tried a quality one.

3 Likes

I have a TS100 I use all the time at the office. So compact!!!

4 Likes

Those things are too slow. I warm up way faster with half a nipple.

1 Like

Both are great, the biggest difference is what kind of supply.

TS100:

• lipo
  • laptop PSU
  • tool battery pack (I use ryobi with a printed adapter)

TS80:

• quick charge USB-C power brick (need a strong one)
  • quick charge powerbank with USB-C

Aside from what’s mentioned so far, the TS100 has more tip styles, and the tips are cheaper. If you buy, try to buy a bundle with included cable and PSU. It’s silicone and very flexible, worth it, and hard to get otherwise.

In comparison to bench irons, performance is right up there but the ergos are not as good. I only use mine for soldering in-place. Really thankful to have it.

For eskate, get the biggest tip you can find for either.

My opinion, if you can only have one nice iron, get one of these depending on what power source you have. If you can, also get a good benchtop unit (more than $100).

4 Likes

@KaramQ needs a good soldering iron, lol.

I’m seeing a pretty wide price range, from $10 for what looks like a knockoff to 100 for what looks like the real deal.

How much should I pay for one?
:beer:

They aren’t slow…

I mean it. With thin wires they are fine…with thick wires they are s l o w . . .

I definitely use it for smaller jobs.

Being able to use the universal laptop charger I have at the desk is why I Iove it so much.

2 Likes

@Rojitor
If the ts100 is chump change to you… what are you using? What are you doing with it?

I’m tempted, I’ll be honest.
EXSO High Temp Heavy Duty Soldering for big ground connection, earth wire and steel plate, 300W 110V Adjustable Temperature Welding tool.(MADE IN KOREA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079XTBFCC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bJy6Db0WGRWPE

There is a 500w option. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

The ones on the right are Pace/Metcal. I use the rightmost one 80% of the time.

This doesn’t seem right. Check your supply? Or maybe you have a small tip? Slow is not a word I would use for these. Yes there are faster irons, but $$$$$

1 Like

How much current does it draw roughly?
I have similar packs in my board and it’d be pretty hilarious to power an iron off my board’s charging port.

2 Likes

Have it and love it (the one that charges USB-C) and it beats many of ny friends bench irons / stations and has become my go to. Recommend.

1 Like

I’ve never really checked. I have a dedicated 6S LiPo for soldering. It does make a strong case for field repairs though, especially with this.

4 Likes

This is what I’m using for power

3 Likes

Ts100 outperforms ts80 by 10% in output power at usb c highest voltage, but the ts100 can take higher voltages and at max voltages it really shines, I’ve had the same ts100 with the same tip for about 3 years now and it’s the best iron I’ve ever tried
I even managed to do these joints with it and the groundplane on the bms is HUGE, of course it took some technique and time buts they are pretty much flawless

5 Likes

TS100 - max 65W, TS80 - max 18W.

TS100 wins.

If they release a new TS soldering iron that supports USBC-PD of a much higher power rating, id grab it.

I’ve been using the TS100 for about 6months now and it’s amazing how well it works, even on thick 8awg wires. It heats up incredibly fast (in about 6 seconds to each 330degC), when paired with my 21V 4.62A laptop charger. Even made a 4S lipo pack for portability’s sake.

The only thing i hate about the charger is the lack of compatibility with USBC-PD. I would love to be able to use it with my 65W USBC charger.

3 Likes