TS100 soldering iron thread

How much current does it draw roughly?
I have similar packs in my board and it’d be pretty hilarious to power an iron off my board’s charging port.

2 Likes

Have it and love it (the one that charges USB-C) and it beats many of ny friends bench irons / stations and has become my go to. Recommend.

1 Like

I’ve never really checked. I have a dedicated 6S LiPo for soldering. It does make a strong case for field repairs though, especially with this.

4 Likes

This is what I’m using for power

3 Likes

Ts100 outperforms ts80 by 10% in output power at usb c highest voltage, but the ts100 can take higher voltages and at max voltages it really shines, I’ve had the same ts100 with the same tip for about 3 years now and it’s the best iron I’ve ever tried
I even managed to do these joints with it and the groundplane on the bms is HUGE, of course it took some technique and time buts they are pretty much flawless

5 Likes

TS100 - max 65W, TS80 - max 18W.

TS100 wins.

If they release a new TS soldering iron that supports USBC-PD of a much higher power rating, id grab it.

I’ve been using the TS100 for about 6months now and it’s amazing how well it works, even on thick 8awg wires. It heats up incredibly fast (in about 6 seconds to each 330degC), when paired with my 21V 4.62A laptop charger. Even made a 4S lipo pack for portability’s sake.

The only thing i hate about the charger is the lack of compatibility with USBC-PD. I would love to be able to use it with my 65W USBC charger.

3 Likes

Strangely this is incorrect. Multiple youtube reviewers (marcoreps, eevblog dave, etc) have done shootouts. TS80 will actually pull more watts during soldering, and is much more effective when heating up huge thermal mass. it’s a pretty big difference, TS80 by landslide. I don’t think this really shows up in typical use though. Something to do with either the temperature sensor or the control loop.

And it’s confusing but TS100 came first, TS80 is the new and improved.

4 Likes

Oh? Isn’t it rated for 9V @2A?

YES.

2 Likes

It’s surprising and counter-intuitive, but regardless of rating, TS80 performs better.

For example the marcoreps video gamer43 linked above shows TS80 pulling 18w vs TS100 puling 10w heating up the same pads on alike pcbs. Other video reviews affirm.

1 Like

From what I hear using a custom firmware really makes the the TS100 shine over the default because of the accelerometer allowing it to shut off when you set it down and immediately heat up when you pick it back up. Next level. I’m asking for one for Christmas.

6 Likes

Am at work now and cant see the vid, but, if a higher power is needed for larger solder jobs (thick wires or big metal pads), won’t the TS80 fail to perform?

Sorry, doesn’t make too much sense to me, considering the power input is limited on the TS80.

1 Like

It is a pretty confusing situation. I was hoping they would launch like a TS420 that you know would be wholefully superior.

5 Likes

The power inputs are the biggest factor for my decision to get a ts100 instead of the ts80. I know the ts80 outperforms the ts100 in practice, but the fact that the ts80 only supports USB-QC while the ts100 can take any DC power from 12-24V is huge for me.

2 Likes

How much use have you guys had out of the TS100 I do see some reports of temp sensor errors and it breaking after little use for a few ppl. Like any product from China there will be some duds but just wanted to see if anyone has had issues. I was looking for one of these or the Hakko FX 888

The video above shows initial heatup, TS100 being twice as fast. But when soldering, the TS80 is pulling twice the wattage, with the max being around 18w. Nowhere near 65w during soldering for either iron.

You can do a lot better for your money these days. 888 and brethren are old tech, with the heating element and temp sensor separate from the tip. The newer stuff uses a disposable cartridge heater tip thing. The best bang for the buck are the systems that use Hakko’s version of the cartridge tips and wands for the FX 951 iron, with a generic arduino controller.

Link to a crazy write-up on the other site

Ah, so basically the ts100 was WAY overspeced at 65W?

Eeh, after using both, the way I see it is as I stated above. Both work really well, choose based on what power source you’ll find most useful. If you’re soldering gnarly stuff that challenges the TS100, you can step up to more manly irons.

Also I’ve not kept up. These irons are open source hardware/software. It’s possible there’s newer or alternate firmware that closes the gap or surpasses.

The gnarly irons…

This Weller is remarkable because of the HUGE tip, and it’s a new tech temperature controlled tip.

The “JBC killer”? :slight_smile: A relatively economical top tier performance iron (doesn’t quite measure up to JBC).

For me, I like used industrial/commercial grade irons. I’m using a Pace and a Metcal, bought for a fraction of their new price. Ergos are amazing, as well as the performance, tip life, and tip selection.

5 Likes

Hmm thanks for clarifying regardless. The only reason why I didnt get the ts80 (i would have if i knew it performed the same or even better than the ts100), was because of the 18W power rating. I would much prefer to have it powered via usb C, considering i get to double up my usb C laptop charger as my soldering iron power supply. It’s also way less bulky compared to a typical laptop charger brick.

3 Likes