Truck Axles a few MM too short

First time posting so hopefully I got the right thread. Building a budget board with tons of black friday deals I got, as someone who works on cars, I understand buying the cheapest will usually result in issues… so here I am lol

Got a deal on some extended length trucks, and a separate deal on some cloud wheels with pulleys from a member on here. However the wheel nut only gets about one and a quarter full turns before the wheel locks up. I have seen some guys cut the hangers to slightly extend the axle, I only need like 2 or even 3 mm for more thread. Would this cause any wheel imbalance or not really as long as the hanger end is close-ish to flat?

1 Like

What brand trucks
And pics of your setup

1 Like

They’re BKB trucks, 43mm axle length (up to hanger), dickyho brackets, and dual BKB 6354 motors. Cloudwheels on some unknown metal 40t pulleys, its a 2 piece pulley though which is strange

1 Like

You just need to replace the hangers with Boardnamics hangers. (BN184)

Or, if you want to DIY,

1 Like

Can you move the motor mounts closer to the baseplate?

Didn’t even know they just sold the hangers, I did see that video, my main concern was not cutting the one piece exactly straight and having the bearing sit against the hanger ever so crooked…

1 Like

The issue is the actual axle portion being 3mm too short, not the mount or the truck hanger itself

1 Like

Just drill and tap a perfectly concentric hole & thread in an axle extender. Brian ships them from his garage.

this is a blinker fluid joke

That’s what she said :wink:

But I would order trucks with longer axles

lathe exist for this reason

3 Likes

This is pretty weird as I’m using the bkb extended trucks with the cloud wheels pulleys and their wheels and still have around 4min left on the axle.

1 Like

Yeah I just went on the site it says the rear has longer axles
Something’s not adding up right it should fit cloud wheels fine

Yes plenty of space.

Do you have any pictures?

Ya here are some pictures. I have taken everything apart including removing the bearings to make sure everything was snug and tight, I figured it might be user error on install but it still only leaved like two threads to screw on… BKB says on their site its 43mm of clearance on that axle but I measured with 3 different tapes, its 41mm, and I know that seems like a small diff. but thats another tighten around. The 2 pics show how much is left. The 3rd picture shows the pulley side, the pulley itself is a 2 piece insert, and sits flush with the wheel. The hangar also sits flush on the bearing inside the indent of the pulley.

I know the solutions are either a new hanger, potentially a different pulley, or smaller less wide wheels, but it’s so frustrating because of literally 2mm I can’t install this

1 Like

Forgot to tag on my last comment, see above

Yeah that sucks pretty bad. I used the pulley directly available as a bundle from cloud wheels direct and because these are CNC aluminum they may be a little thicker because of this.

The only 2 things I can think of is make sure that the pulley is getting inserted fully in to the wheel as they are not exact Avec pulleys and there may be a slight gap in-between the pulley and the wheels.

And secondly make sure that you have the hangers with the longer axles to the back (I can’t remember if there were different or not as I installed them a while back).

You can maybe get away with a low profile lock-nut…

If you use one w/o a polymer insert, definitely use a few layers of blue loctite & let it cure each time, essentially adding a polymer layer to it.

Hypothesizing solutions feels good when you don’t got a bitch in yo ear telling you he’s already using a low profile lock-nut :skull:, just noticed after posting apologies if that’s the case

1 Like

Order a cloud wheel pulley or reach out to @BuildKitBoards they might have some pulleys for you
I’ve had the same issues with dickyho pulleys
With calibers style trucks

2 Likes

Double check all your bearings and make sure they’re pushed in all the way. It might just be that a few of them are not fully installed

1 Like

I found out they’re boardnomic pulleys that only work with 45mm axle lengths based on their site, this forces you to buy the hangers from boardnomics which are 50mm.

I take responsibility for buying used parts and having fitment issues so it is my bad at the end of the day, but what a stupid design. He could have made them slimmer, they have sooooo much extra material on them, just feels like a cash grab since almost no one makes axles this long on caliper style trucks, forcing you to buy his if you end up with these pulleys. Almost no other pulley has this clearance issue with cloud wheels and a majority “standard” extended trucks for esk8 in caliper configuration are 1 to 3 mm under the 45mm clearance… Rant over, I’m buying new hangers, it’s just insane something was possibly, made deliberately to be 3mm too short to fit anything else on the market