Trampa VESC 6 Mk3/4/5 and HD60T power button question

Along with the Tramps HD60T the VESC 6 Mk3/4/5 ESC appears to use a momentary, normally-closed (NC) button switch for powering the ESC on. I have three questions for owners of these ESC’s who use button switches…

Do you have to press the button for a certain minimum amount of time?

Does anything happen if you press it again multiple times after the ESC is on?

Has anyone used a latching button, one that kept the the contacts open the entire time it stayed pressed? Then you would press the button again, unlatching it and closing the contacts, when you wanted the ESC to start its auto-off timer? Did the ESC function normally?

Thanks!

1 Like

Why this obsession with push buttons mooch? This is like the 3d post :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

If only there was some sort of way to read the code to work out how all this works.

3 Likes

Yes, I deserved that.
But I have been dealing with ongoing medical issues that have left me unable to do a lot of things. I want to keep working on this project but the dizziness and fatigue makes reviewing schematics and code almost impossible. I was hoping to call on the time and generosity of the community to help out until, hopefully soon, I am feeling better.

I will not post more questions about this topic though. My apologies for any frustration I have caused.

5 Likes

Mooch, considering all you offer to this community and others, it would be utter bullshit for there to be no reciprocity.

I’m pretty sure the vast majority of folks here would he happy to help you out in any way they could. I only wish I had the information you seek.

12 Likes

Are they even different than your off the shelf switches?

Regular ones are:

Press once to start
Hold for 2-3 seconds to turn off
Pressing multiple times does nothing

2 Likes

usually about 3 seconds to turn off, less time to turn it on.

usually not. typically its a press and hold to turn off situation, about 3 seconds or so most of the time.

latching buttons, more specifically the mechanics inside them, have proven to be somewhat unreliable under the vibrational stress of urethane on street. They last a bit longer on pneumatics but generally momentary buttons with little or no complexity within are the way to go.

no you didn’t. Expecting somebody to pour through source code for a simple answer when lots of people already have that answer on hand is utterly ludicrous.

8 Likes

A short press is enough. The vesc 6 or HD will then boot up. After booting a short push is enough to send it to sleep mode again. Pressing the switch while booting does nothing. Pressing wile riding does nothing.

8 Likes

Generally I’d agree with this, but I’ve been running a latching setup that works quite well for the last nearly 2 years. It’s a latching N.C. pushbutton with a deep latch; pushed in it’s off, released/out it’s on. The latch fails ‘on’ and isn’t having to be held latched/engaged to stay on.

PS: Agree we shouldn’t be scoffing at anyone asking questions.

7 Likes

Much less the lord & savior of battery science that we’ve been skeezing info from for longer than he’s been on here.

Q probably assumed we are all smart as he is with code. I couldn’t recognize code if it got shoved up my ass.

5 Likes

TBH, the British sense of humor/sarcasm can come across rude in text. He probably meant no harm.

1 Like

Seems my answer here was misunderstood. im not expecting everyone to to pour through source code, i barely understand 50% of it myself. just trying to remind that all technical questions on vesc operation can be answered from there.

Its often common here for opinions to be given as fact or things repeated Chinese whispers style but usually the answers can be found on the github for those able to look.

From my reading it seems like the HD60 and MK3 to MK5 use the same code to check the switches. seems that for some reason this is done with analogue readings and the switch is checked every 10ms.

It seems like when the vesc is off the switch fires an interrupt that wakes the vesc from sleep. once on it seems that a press needs to last at least 20ms to ensure a successful trigger to shut down again.

5 Likes

Nah man, was just that sarcasm in response to someone asking a genuine question doesn’t always land well. It’s all good!

Don’t I know it.

PS: here’s the Antispark power switch setup I described above in action.

2 Likes

Do you have a link to that button?

from my experience you only need to tap it to turn on or off, however the trampa switch is noticeably heavier to push in than other switches and has a long travel time (how far it can be pushed in), if i try to turn it off immediately after power on it seems to need a second press to turn off

2 Likes