Trampa VESC 6 issues (DRV fault, soft and hard cut offs during riding)

Suspicious parts: Inductors, capacitors etc. Anything affecting the voltage stability in the system.
I would inspect the unit. The last reported strange behaviour turned out to be a water damage.

Meanwhile I’m not sure anymore if it’s a HW problem because beside other values the motor temp values jump on both vescs during acceleration. Furthermore I had not a single cut off or fault today despite riding as hard as never before.

I had a 55 minutes ride today and it was one of the best hours of my life :sunglasses:
100A motor amps is sick and I’m tempted to try 120A, I didn’t expect such a difference from 80A to 100A. It was epic to ride this rocket and I could even climb steeper hills than before. I’m so stoked!

Here some logs…

MOSFET TEMP

MOTOR TEMP

The motor temps jump like a pro during acceleration like from 42.2° to 82.3°C within a blink of an eye.

208.81A motor and 104.42A battery (4.48kW), that’s a tad above the set limits (100A/50A each vesc)

New personal top speed 52.91km/h and crazy fast acceleration from standstill with 100A motor amps.

Houston I still have a problem with jumping values but not noticeable during riding today. It was such a sick ride I still can’t believe it. Even Vesc-Tool liked to party

1 Like

The motor temperature jumping and cutting out it’s a know issue that has been mentioned time and time again by me and others and nothing has been done, it’s pretty simple to solve with a rolling average or another filtering technique. Maybe now that you are on board you could do something @Deodand :grin:

1 Like

You’re a funny guy.
Step 1. I’ve got issues.
Step 2. Let’s increase motor amps.
Step 3. Let the animal loose.

Regarding the voltage sag. Would you have built a higher p pack knowing it drops 2v? Seeing that, I am contemplating going higher for an upcoming pack of mine.

1 Like

Did you try to unplug the motor sensors? That’s also a point where things can go wonky.

I know I’m stupid but I wanted to reproduce the cut offs and see what’s going on in the log file if it is the root of my problem. Higher amps = hotter motors = cut offs. My plan didn’t work.

Regarding voltage sag I’m fine with the 12s6p because usually I don’t pull 100A, more like 50-80A. My board is already heavy (18.4kg). With a 12s8p it would be 19.6kg.

No and they also didn’t try :laughing:. But good hint!

check for lose phase wires I had EXACTLY that issue sometimes because they got lose from vibration over time

2 Likes

I have new issues now but the main problem is SOLVED!

The root of the problem was not the HW it’s every version of the FW4 :flushed: The telemetry data has serious issues!

As mentioned downgrading to FW 3.62 never worked but with FW3.65 it worked to my surprise.

TADA! With FW3.65 the range of jumping motor temp values is 3°C, with FW4+ it is 40°C!!!

My new problem is that several times the board started to accelerate on it’s own and then even didn’t react on braking just a liiiiittle. Scary shit when you are strapped to a MTB and crossing streets with high traffic.

@Trampa should I downgrade my Wand to FW1.1 when using FW3.65? Could that be the root of my new issue?

Yeah and I got an undervoltage fault and red blinking led on the vesc. After switching off and on it worked again. It could be my antispark switch making troubles gonna try it without.

4 Likes

Wand FW can be the latest. In your case I would check the HW thouroughly. Sounds all a bit starnge to me.
Downgrading to 3.62 should be no issue. You can always use SWD Prog to wack on any FW you like.
I think there is a HW issue, not a software issue.

Told you. FW4.XX is not stable no matter what some would say!

5 Likes