Trampa VESC 6 issues (DRV fault, soft and hard cut offs during riding)

Can you still run motor detection?

Good question in 5 minutes I have an answer :grin:

1 Like

Detection works and I get similar values.

1 Like

Good to hear then the drv is fine. How high is your abs limit current?

1 Like

That’s the settings

s1

1 Like

To be honest after all the issues with recent firmware I would not trust the latest builds 100%.

I never do to be honest, I mostly lag behind letting everyone else test

I’m still on 3.62 with zero issues. I would attempt to try and use 3.62 (or other old but known good) and see if you get the same problems.

6 Likes

What firmware?

1 Like

After upgrading to FW4.0 it was no more possible to downgrade (but it should be). Tried it for hours. Upgrading to FW4.02 was easy as usual. I’m stuck :man_shrugging:

FW4.2 but the test version Benjamin sent me to test before release. I could try to install the official release but doubt that there is a difference also I’m running this FW since 1 month without issues.

1 Like

I’ve moved from 3 to 4 to 3 to 5 to 3 without issue

4 Likes

Solder the big inductor back in place. Your ride style probably removed it from it’s original position. The Inductor sits on the lower side of the PCB. Make sure to use a new heat pad. PM me for more info on that.

Is your battery pack dieing what’s your volt drop at heavy loads? Check the battery internal resistance.

That gave me a good laugh :joy:
But I just use 55A batt max each vesc :man_shrugging:

I want to try some other things before I open the case but then I’ll pm you, thanks. If you don’t mind it would be great if you could share the correct size (or even a link) of the heat pad here as future reference.

It’s likely a HW issue if you ask me and the inductor would be something that is on my mind if I would need to guess. We might have a spare heat pad for you, so just PM me.

1 Like

Have you changed the thermal pads between fets and sink at all in 2 years? Cause the ones I have wear out after a while, feels like a short circuit into sink would yield more explosive results tho.

2 Likes

Thank you for this question because when checking some logs I recognized strange motor temp behaviour.

But first about voltage sag. I have a 12s6p VTC6 pack with maybe 50 cycles.
At a voltage of 46.7V the sag is 2.8V @50A battery current and 6.2V @96A batt.

My soft cut off is set at 38V and the hard cut off at 37V. That means when the battery is at 43V I can hit the hard cut off when using almost 100A from battery, maybe exactly this happened when I experienced the total power loss.

When looking at my logs (FW4+) there are many values jumping around which is strange, I could give many examples. But I never watched the motor temp which I did now.

The motor temp reading is stable but when I start to accelerate the value jumps up and down.

This were a few accelerations on concrete from standstill to 51km/h.

It could be that the soft cut offs happen when the motor is just a bit hot and due to the jumping value the thermal throtteling starts.

I am going to test it now and record a log to see what happens before it’s getting dark. I’ve uploaded the FW4.2 original version and decreased the batt amps from 55A to 50A and increased the motor amps from 80A to 100A :ok_hand:

No never thought about that.

Suspicious parts: Inductors, capacitors etc. Anything affecting the voltage stability in the system.
I would inspect the unit. The last reported strange behaviour turned out to be a water damage.

Meanwhile I’m not sure anymore if it’s a HW problem because beside other values the motor temp values jump on both vescs during acceleration. Furthermore I had not a single cut off or fault today despite riding as hard as never before.

I had a 55 minutes ride today and it was one of the best hours of my life :sunglasses:
100A motor amps is sick and I’m tempted to try 120A, I didn’t expect such a difference from 80A to 100A. It was epic to ride this rocket and I could even climb steeper hills than before. I’m so stoked!

Here some logs…

MOSFET TEMP

MOTOR TEMP

The motor temps jump like a pro during acceleration like from 42.2° to 82.3°C within a blink of an eye.

208.81A motor and 104.42A battery (4.48kW), that’s a tad above the set limits (100A/50A each vesc)

New personal top speed 52.91km/h and crazy fast acceleration from standstill with 100A motor amps.

Houston I still have a problem with jumping values but not noticeable during riding today. It was such a sick ride I still can’t believe it. Even Vesc-Tool liked to party

1 Like

The motor temperature jumping and cutting out it’s a know issue that has been mentioned time and time again by me and others and nothing has been done, it’s pretty simple to solve with a rolling average or another filtering technique. Maybe now that you are on board you could do something @Deodand :grin:

1 Like

You’re a funny guy.
Step 1. I’ve got issues.
Step 2. Let’s increase motor amps.
Step 3. Let the animal loose.

Regarding the voltage sag. Would you have built a higher p pack knowing it drops 2v? Seeing that, I am contemplating going higher for an upcoming pack of mine.

1 Like

Did you try to unplug the motor sensors? That’s also a point where things can go wonky.