TRAMPA-FS SGD AWD mountainboard

OK this looks like a finished product now! Well done! :smiley:

1 Like

Maybe one additional comment to it.
The trampa barrels system isn’t meant to be tightened down like with springs.
There is only one position/tension possible because the down barrel plug is fixed to the truck and the upper barrel plug is fixed to the base plate.
Hope that makes sense somehow :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I had to fix some things with TRAMPA barrels bolt kit :

First you need longer bolts :

Barrels can be compressed but will not extent so you need long bolts or the barrels will go out of the retainers on the opposite side when you lean.

Then you need these nylon spacers, because you don’t want that the thead of M5 bolts scrape the M8 holes at the top of the baseplate.

I really wonder why TRAMPA doesn’t include things like that into the complete it… It’s not expensive!

The M5 washers will help you to put back the nylon spacers into the holes, because they’ll move a little bit when you ride.

I wanted to use this kind of spring between the head of the bolt and the nylon spacer, but I couldn’t find one of the good size (the one below is too long).

3 Likes

Regarding general 4WD management :

Is it a problem for battery management if two dual ESCs that are not connected with can bus take power from the same battery? In my build I made the circuits separate.

@rpasichnyk : is it conceivable that two ESCs that have METR PRO modules would communicate with each other via these UART modules, as they would via can bus?

If both dual ESCs take power from the same battery, is it possible to deactivate one of the dual ESCs so as to save power, without damaging deactivated ESC or battery? (I mean deactivated ESC is powered on but doesn’t send power to motors)

2 Likes

yeah it’s fine but bluetooth will only track consumption for the VESCs it is connected to I believe

You would want the motor to help overcome it’s own resistance not drag.

AWD and power conservation don’t go together, just carry more capacity.

Take care in case the bolts go through the barrel bud plug you might damage the barrel with the sharp corner of the bolt when turning.

2 Likes

Yes I thought about the case of low battery situation. Drag is high with gear drive but not that much with chain drive. I think running 4WD with front of rear drive deactivated is very bad for the dual ESC if this dual ESC is disconnected from battery.

I think it’s bad also if the battery connected to this dual ESC is full, because maybe you will go beyond battery max capacity.

I’m not sure it’s not a problem if the deactivated dual ESC is connected to the same battery as the working dual ESC.

Actually you can’t because barrel retainer is threaded on 20 mm only. That’s the same length as the thread on my bolt (I was lucky because this was not specified on the website).

1 Like

Where did you get your batteries from? I just ordered my board today with a 2020 monster box and need to get batteries.

But check if their size fits the monster box, depending on how many you want to put inside.

There is also this model :

Being tired of changing kingpin plastic bushings every three rides with this build, I’m going to replace the VERTIGO trucks with the TRAMPA IR. Almost no information about how to pick up the right bushings on Trampa website, then I read Apex thread about that.

I share here the way I succeeded in dismantling the Trampa conical clamps.

2 Likes

Inserting the screws here will push it apart.

The Savage hangers will also be a lot more bushing friendly.
These hangers are milled form a solid billet and have twice the contact area for the bushing.
They are also much stronger in the centre area. Another nice feature are the 42CrMo4 axles.

1 Like

you never find useful information, pr any information in general, on the trampa website for anything, even their own products :joy:

i’ve got some bushing setup experience for pkp if you neeed but nothing is documented yet

1 Like

Good to know!

I have 6 other VERTIGO/ULTIMATE trucks and on other builds those kingpin bushing lifespan is not an issue. I change them maybe once a year.

Those gear drives are very good. Well protected by its bashing guard and only 8 screws to remove to get them off. Yet, I’d like that a bearing system would replace the rubber seal.

Regarding bushing choice, I’ve chosen :
PLUG Bushing - Translucent ORANGE 89a
WEDGE Bushing - YELLOW 92a

Good choice? With the big 10 inches wheels?

Customer support is not bad yet, Frank answered quickly to my message.

1 Like

Savage hanger in the back and Vertigo in the front is ace. Savage is a bit wider and tougher.
The gear drive is designed to work with the minimum of parts. Less parts, less parts to service…
Another quick way to split the clamp: Only loosen screws a few mm and tap them with a hammer.

1 Like

VERTIGO with barrels changed to TRAMPA-IR trucks!

I’m very happy with those new trucks!

I have used Trampa Vertigo trucks with both springs and barrels, MBS Matrix 2.

I thought It would have taken more time to feel confident with this new kind of truck. Il was more difficult to go from springs to barrels or Matrix 2.

On road, they feel better, more natural.

Off road, among stones and roots (not only gravels), at the beginning they feel less stable, but soon you understand you can trust them as they react and they may be less prone to stab you in the back than pivot trucks when wheels hit obstacles.

Regarding “preload”, I have set them like that :

I’ve read somewhere that they make unbalanced wheels get worse. I’m using PHADLADS rims that are good on that point (way better that MEGASTARS with the my 2020 poor spokes), but at speed (53 km/h max) those Trampa-IR feel more stable than pivot trucks and I didn’t notice unbalanced wheel related issue as before the upgrade.

On the video below, with Vertigo trucks I had to put my hand on the battery box to prevent the mountainboard from falling out the tool box. With Trampa-IR vibrations are smoothed.

1 Like

You need to ballance those wheels, they wobble like hell!

1 Like

Hell is my house

There is something I don’t understand.

When stopped in the forest on a 35% climb and trying to accelerate, nothing happens. The wheels only spin if I hop to relieve downforce.

On this mountainboard, there are two dual ESCs which each have their own receiver and which do not communicate with each other.

The 4 ESCs are set to 80A for battery max and motor max, and 160A for absolute max current.

But at this moment where I’m stuck climbing the trigger fully I have this data (on one of the dual ESC). Il’s in the square at the bottom :

Why doesn’t it try to draw 80A from the battery even though the motor current doesn’t reach max?

I feel like the fact that the front drivetrain doesn’t know it’s being pushed and the rear drivetrain doesn’t know it’s pulled is messing up the power management as per my settings.

To compare, here are the data of another e-mtbd driven by two FLIPSKY Mini FSESC6.7 connected by CAN, also regulated in battery & motor max at 80A.

They take better advantage of the power available, with Lipos of similar quality. And yet there was no off-road during this ride.

Motors are similar : Maytech 6374 190kv.

1 Like

If you have traction control switched on, maybe give it a try without.

1 Like

THE MADMAX UPGRADE

With TRAMPA DIRT-E-KART, this part appeared :

It was so beautiful and I had to try.

Little problem when assembling this new part on my 2019 gear drive : the screws that were sold with the gear drive at the time are too long…

At first, I wanted to buy shorter screws, but then I decided to shorten the screws by myself :

Those are pretty big 5 mm screws, so it was not easy, and I was close to strip my thumb with the lower part of the plier.

I’ll use gloves next time…

Then I could assemble the whole thing.

Then again, Trampa delivers too long socket cap screws there. They are 16 mm. I’ve used 12 mm ones.

These are the same tyres as my E-TOXX Psychoframe.

HOW DOES IT RIDE

It’s surprisingly stable as long as you lower your center of gravity. I must say that I thought it would be terrible.

I still didn’t exceed 40 km/h, whereas I usually do 50-55 km/h with the 10-inch wheels.

It turns very easily contrary to what I imagined. The wheels being wider, and a little further apart, so the rocker comes less quickly when turning.

Consumption is curiously little increased: 36-38 Wh/km instead of 30-32 Wh/km.

I hit a tree with the left front wheel. I was afraid but this did not deform the axle of the truck.

However, the gear drive protection hit the edge of the deck. It’s hard to believe…

I found a way to straighten it out.

The result is better than expected :

1 Like