to be or not to be 16s

thanks for taking the time and getting back to me. it seems like there arnt any real “down sides” to going 16s but the lower kv might not be the best choice, i will keep looking around but i may do 16s 170kv with a 1:5 reduction thanks for the info appreciate it :grinning:

1 Like

yea it just kina seem like “why not” with the spintend, out of intrest where are you getting your 16s bms from? i have yet to find anyone in the eu with them. i may just do 15s because i think the llt “12s” bms can do up to 15 with different firmwhere but i may be wrong

4wd at 12s will launch you to space already, why bother with high voltage?
It only makes sense for maximizing 2wd setups (sometimes).

Don’t see it happening.
The higher the ratio the less freeroll you have. Maybe ok for MTB, but I wouldn’t enjoy it on a street board.

1 Like

only because it will cost almost nothing more to do and i already have a 16s capable vesc, i see what you mean about the free roll though i didnt think about that

we thought about stocking them, not sure there is much demand yet.

I built the battery in 3 lumps, 2 x 6S and 1 x 4S, this allows me to test the spintend at 10S, 12S and 16S. Ill probably charge these individual packs on my hobby charger for now even though I do have a 16S BMS and charger. I think this will be my test board going forward so I like having the options available for different battery configs

@tipsy, yes, im talking about MTB here.

1 Like

Cost is not always just money. Potentially decreased reliability is a cost too.

1 Like

yea sounds like a sweet test board. i have though about doing different “lumps” but the problem i always come to it needing an individual bms for each one, i guess only changing with a hobby charger means you don’t need a bms. the other thing is space my deck is already “full” so i am thinking i may need to make some deck flaps so if the box ends up over hanging is doesn’t look to stupid

true true. i think from a logical stand point 12s makes the most sense, its tried and tested and if i do kill a vesc it will be much easier to replace. having said that 16s i such an easy thing to do now and will be such a pain to implement in the future if i decide i want it (not saying i will just saying i might)

1 Like

so i am thinking maybe meet in the middle and do something like 14s, keep the 170kv and hopefully the same bms? does anyone know if the “12s” llt bms can be used higher. i know the same model has capability to do up to 15s but is it restricted in soft where or just the cable it ships with?

2 Likes

Someone was telling me they run 18S on 190KV just fine and overall I’m just really confused.

I have the drivetrain ready and 16S battery just needs some leads to attach to the UBOX.

Worth a bench test? test ride? just see if I die at 50mph?

3 Likes

I’ve done 18s on 138kv motors, and I know @ahrav was running 14s on 190kv pretty successfully. But I have not tried 190kv on 18s yet

3 Likes

@poastoast said he is running some 190KV motors on 18S and given what pedro was saying that sounds bad…

idk lot of conflicting info

1 Like

You can run no problem, it could be a problem, or at least no as efficient if you went to 18S and also adjust your gearing to keep the same speed

If you just increase the voltage but keep the the same gearing and didn’t ride faster than before, the motor wouldn’t even know something has changed

2 Likes

Given my main goal is speed I could just lower my ratio on 12S but I have all this HV shit here so…

3 Likes

It’s uncharted territory right now, just make sure to log everything so we can see what happens. Maybe while the losses are higher spinning it fast, but going fast provides enough cooling, maybe not

2 Likes

oh it’s fucking FREEZING out so cooling will be no issue.

I don’t plan on running 190KV on 16S for long I will get the fancy “secret” motors when those are out, before then I will move the 16S electronics to hubs.

1 Like

I’ve only run a 180 Kv motor on the bench at 16S and it wasn’t fully charged, have to say it was a bit terrifying :smile:

2 Likes

Il tell you one thing I noticed on my ride logs with 138kv motors on 18s I havnt gone any faster then I normally would with 12s. But I notice my stromcore doesn’t use as much battery amps as it would on 12s at similar speeds. Motor amps look relatively the same. This is all however from the stormcore app which is…meh. just installed a metr pro can. Will see what data I can get in the next few days

8 Likes

I’ve yet to run into an issue related to 18s @190 kv… but who knows what’ll happen lmao

1 Like

What Li-ion battery can do 10Ah? Link please.

1 Like