TITANIUM Pulleys 16t & 18t (US)

They are titanium. I guess the abrasion resistance compared to steel it’s not as good, definitely not aluminum those don’t last me a day. I running 4wd, so that’s probably why I haven’t seen the much wear on my personal set and I prob don’t ride as much as @b264

6 Likes

got any more 16T or 18T?

I have a few left of each. I’ll pm you

3 Likes

Yeah titanium, depending on alloy is high structural strength material, especially for weight, but it’s soft, and most grades aren’t very abrasion resistant.

Any idea what alloy these are? Grade 2/CP ti is very soft, and doesn’t have very good abrasion resistance, but it’s an order of magnitude easier to machine than Grade 5 (6Al4V). Steel is significantly more abrasion resistant in most cases, especially hardened tool steels of various alloys, but I wouldn’t expect 6Al4V ti to be wearing out quickly. The finish on these however, it’s just surface, and will disappear very quickly regardless of alloy anywhere there’s abrasive action.

2 Likes

It’s tc4 (grade 5) titanium. My set is still going strong, 4wd so not fairest comparison.

3 Likes

fit real nice!

2 Likes

How does 7075 aluminum compare to 6al4v ti in terms of wear toughness?

2 Likes

Nice, now you just need some 15mm belts.

3 Likes

was waiting for that lol

3 Likes

Generally speaking 6al4v ti should hold up much better. 7075 is a high strength alloy but it’s not hugely more abrasion resistant than 6061.

All in all I’m surprised someone is able to wear them out super fast. Even though titanium is pretty soft relative to hardened steel, it does build up a layer of really hard and reluctant to abrade alpha case on the outside.

I’m wondering what sort of environment b246 is in, I’m guessing it’s a sandy environment or one with high abrasive like quartz sand, naturally occurring corundum, garnet, iron oxide, etc… getting into the drive, and this would be exacerbated if there’s any sort of lube/grease in the mix, or the belts being driven to the point of getting hot (the abrasives will embed in the rubber and you’ve instantly got a pulley destroying abrasive belt, unintentionally).

You even have to be careful working with tools and abrasives (angle grinder, belt sanders, even sanding sheets), in the vicinity, as you can end up with some very high end and efficient abrasive particles in your drivetrain.

I work with high end abrasives day in, day out, and no matter what I do, nothing i own can remain scratch free because of it. Literally carrying a phone, pocket knife (I make very high end, handmade pocket knives, but can’t keep my own work nice), watch, whatever, within a day, it’ll be covered in scratches just because abrasives are embedded in every part of my life. Most of what I use are ceramic, diamond, or CBN, which are all the hardest, most destructive ones, so it’s pretty much a foregone conclusion. They’re even semi-permanently embedded in my fingertips. For fine finishing tasks on knives or machined parts, I have to keep the buffing wheels (with many brand new sealed ones on hand), isolated, covered, and sealed in plastic bags and tupper to avoid cross-contamination, otherwise you’ll find yourself chasing a finish that’s seemingly getting worse the more you work it (it is), because one stray larger mesh grain of a super-abrasive managed to float its way across the shop (or travel on your sleeve more likely) and build a new home for itself in a soft loose cotton buff. :sob:

5 Likes

brake dust, river silt, and heavy usage

2 Likes

yeah brake dust can be bad actually, they’re essentially structured abrasives.

You need hardened tool steel pulleys for sure, they’ll last 100x longer.

2 Likes

It’s unfortunate no one makes titanium wheel pulleys that match these for the 72t Lacroix.

Even the regular motor pulleys last a long while. The wheel pulleys wear out within the first year on average.

That’s the reason I went to a gear drive. But miss the solid silence from belt drive.

If someone made a quality material (titanium?) wheel pulley and belt to go along w/ these titanium motor pulleys than we’d hv no nd to gear drives and could enjoy the solid/silence (as far a rattle at low speed or walking it).

But it’s like the car business. Most of the profits r on the maintinence not the upfront as much.

1 Like

What profits? Nobody in the esk8 business is getting rich.

True. Very niche. Hopefully someday. Lacroix, kaly, etc gone under. But not for the lack of trying. Did not mean to offend. Thanks for the feedback.