Tips for making a fiberglass enclosure?

I’m about to order materials for my custom fiberglass enclosure. I want the enclosure to have some flex so I was thinking three layers of fiberglass. I’m currently trying to decide what type of fiberglass cloth to order and what resin would give me some flex. If you have any ideas please let me know.

As far as the mold goes I’ve been playing around with the idea of using the battery as the mold and tapering the edges using putty, as he does in this video link. I have also seen people cover foam board with tape, but that seems unnecessarily difficult.

Any advice is appreciated.

3 Likes

Do a search for the word fibreglass dude. There are several dedicated topics and multiple build threads.

5 Likes

@surferofdirt made a how to thread about fiberglass enclosure. I miss that guy.

1 Like

Dude was a fuckin wanker

13 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve read those threads. I still haven’t found any info on how many layers, what type of fiberglass, and what type of resin to use if I want it to be flexible.

2 Likes

fair enough. did you post that question in those established thread before opening a new one?

3 Likes

Flexibility has much to do with the shape as well. Have you considered a material like polycarbonate? Heat formable and super durable (but not bulletproof) also available in many colors.

2 Likes

Done, thanks for the suggestion! Now I have all my bases covered.

I haven’t considered it much mainly because they always seem thicker and like they don’t conform to the mold as well as fiberglass. I also chose fiberglass because @eBoosted enclosures are stunning and Alan claims that they are quite flexible. For example, his bamboo GT enclosure doesn’t have any flex grooves but apparently has enough flex for that super flexy deck.

Do you have any threads you would recommend on PC enclosures?

1 Like

Nope haven’t worked with PC since I was on a robotics team due to the high cost.

I was planning on making one out of it but decided to order a TB40 deck instead.

Since I’m interested in high speed flex isn’t an appeal to me, and if it was I would have a small segmented enclosure.

1 Like

wait what happened?

edit: nvm i’m stupid

1 Like

@Mr_Monday if you could show us your finish product for your flex enclosure when your done that would be awesome :sunglasses:

1 Like