Tinned copper braid

I used flat braid… if you look at how boosted did it- I don’t even think they router the deck- just kapton taped onto the deck and then grip tape on top. It ends up being pretty clean and the board obviously retains greater structural integrity- I did the same and ran some electrical glue over it- honestly… overkill. Kapton+grip tape is more than enough

Thanks mate, I think that’s the way I’ll go. What’s the black stuff under the tape? Silicone?

I used a rubber glue thing- it’s that black container in the photo- you don’t even need it. Just use kapton and grip it.

That’s really helpful thanks, how do you finish the cable ened? Soldered back to normal cable or straight to an xt90?

I went back to normal cable and used it only where I did the run on the deck

1 Like

The place I got mine from actually listed the equivalent AWG and strand size/count. It’s 3/8" wide (~10mm) and had a 48-6-36 construction (48 bunches of 36AWG strands, with 6 strands in each bunch), which made it equivalent to 12AWG.
There was also a thicker 3/8" version that was 48-8-36, which is equivalent to 10AWG.

Basically what I’m trying to say is, height and width measurements can’t be directly (or accurately) converted to AWG, because differences in the braid’s construction or how it’s been treated (stretched, bent, smooshed, etc) affect those measurements significantly.

You need to either know the strand count/size, or the cross sectional area, or the weight/length.

That said, that 15x1mm you mentioned is almost certainly 10AWG or better.

2 Likes

So just solder it to the normal wire?

Thanks that’s great, I actually ordered 25mm x 3mm then at least if I run more amps in the future I’ll be fine.

This is what I ended up doing on my first board. 1/4in braid with 1/2in kapton tape over it.
I don’t push more than 30 amps but have never felt the wires getting warm.

You can kind of feel the wires depending on the shoes, but it really isn’t much of a bother.

4 Likes

Just recived my braided copper. Turns out I’m a compete idiot! It’s massive, I think I could run my entire house with it.

I don’t know what I was thinking. I’ve ordered some smaller stuff.

1 Like

3 Likes

I read this before I scrolled down to the picture and thought “nah they probably just don’t have a good frame of reference, probably not even that big” and then I scrolled down. Oh boi I was incorrect, she chonky

It seems quite flat though? As 3mm would suggest it’s probably not gonna ruin the deck feel, why not just use what you’ve got and not have to worry about losses at al. Or at least try it out to see if it gets in the way

I would cut in half and just use it…that would make a great w concave

I’ve already ordered some smaller stuff. It was only about £15 so not the end of the world. You live and learn I guess.

I did try cutting it down the middle but it gets really frayed.

Just had to laugh when I opened the package.

Just recived the small size and it’s much better (15mmx1mm).

Anyone got any advice on how to solder it to the 10awg silicone cable?

Holy balls that’s huge. Are you located in the US? I might buy it off you if you wanna unload it

I can’t believe how big it was, even the smaller one is too much really. I’m in the UK unfortunately.

1 Like

I was having a look at the >guide above< and have a couple of bits im not %100 on

Battery will be an 18s4p and ‘shouldnt’ be pulling more than 250/300A in burst i should think so was hoping a couple of 13mm braid would do the trick, i dont have a big iron to play with

1 Like