Tinned copper braid

Can you share more details? What kind of ESC, battery, board, etc? Just trying to get an idea of how much current you’re going to draw.

2 Likes

12s4p p42a battery, spintend ubox, mountain board.

How much do you weigh, and do you live in a very hilly area?

Thing is I don’t want to underrate the cable but I also don’t want to router any more of the deck than I have to.

I’m 100kg and not too many hills. I’m running 60 battery amps and I’m pretty happy with the power.

If you’re using flat braid, have you considered just running it under the grip tape without routing the deck? I actually did this with 12AWG silicone wire on my eMTB and it works great.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Should be okay. 1/4" braided copper is probably good for at least 60 amps in the short runs we use, but I’ve never done any physical testing. Probably all boils down to how hot it is on any given day, and whether or not you’re climbing hills. I think 1/4" braided copper would be fine until you’re climbing hills for more than 5 minutes at a time. Then you want heavier conductors.

edit: I think we need to do more testing. I can find numerous different current ratings for the same size strapping. There is variances in thickness.

Two pieces of 1/4" braided copper stacked on top of one another is perfectly acceptable.

Yes I am going to run it under the grip tape I just though it would be better slightly routed in.

Thanks mate really appreciate it.

1 Like

Thinking about it, is there any reason I couldn’t just strip the inslation off some 10awg silicone cable and use that?

As long as you properly protect it from shorts, and the environment, it should be fine. Just keep in mind that vibrations may cause chaffing of the insulation. If your phase wires short while in operation, it will immediately kill your ESC (I think).

1 Like

I was thinking of maybe even epoxying it into the deck then gripping over the top. Do you think that would work?

Yes. Sounds ideal.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MEG9V2R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for my battery I used 3/8" tinned copper metal braid. Different application but the price difference is pretty negligible compared to 1/4". Heat shrink around it works well.

If you have a router do it the right way with 3/8" or 1/2" braid. If you dont then just strip the 10ga and flatten it out and use some kapton tape to hold it down before you apply griptape. You might even be able to create a W concave affect if done right.

Thanks, yes I’ve got a router. I just didn’t want to remove any more of the deck than I needed to. I’m thinking maybe I should try it just ran under the grip tape before I router and epoxy it in.

1 Like

I used flat braid… if you look at how boosted did it- I don’t even think they router the deck- just kapton taped onto the deck and then grip tape on top. It ends up being pretty clean and the board obviously retains greater structural integrity- I did the same and ran some electrical glue over it- honestly… overkill. Kapton+grip tape is more than enough

Thanks mate, I think that’s the way I’ll go. What’s the black stuff under the tape? Silicone?