TIE/ad x1 evolution | Backpack MTB | Development Platform

Thors are big cells :sweat_smile:
How you plan to mount them on the board?

By the way, great that you add some info about the MAX 6 esc here. Not so much people using those anymore, but there still people searching for information. So good to have something written up here as well :ok_hand:

3 Likes

I run Max6, because I’m insensortive. Really though, I run it because I was inspired by the @NoWind pre-VESC builds.

Mounting of the cells and other components, you’ll have to wait and see. I’m thinking you might like it for many reasons.

2 Likes

Also did this minor mod last night while tinkering with and surface cleaning my board. I’ll be building over the next week or so because it’s going to be miserable down here in wintery, rainy Melbourne. Plus, I’m not at Level 20 Mage waterproofing like @b264 yet.

5 Likes

This. This intrigues me… your doing some next level building. TSA wont like this though lol

2 Likes

That’s just what I’m breaking down to get to the cells. I’ve got four of those, which will turn into one 10s at first, and another maybe two to add on, so I can round robin and always have charged packs, or parallel them for longer range. Plus, 10s1p is going to be 540Wh, so TSA will definitely not like that, never mind going to 10s2p or more.

Playing around with my loop key at work, I decided to open it up and check the solder joints, only to find this.

Now I’m wondering if this is why I felt the sudden power loss last time when I thought the batteries were stuffed.

I’m going to have to find a better way of doing loop keys.

3 Likes

you can do a compact version with some 1.5mm solid copper wire from like house instalation. just bend it in a U-shape and solder it to the terminals.
I usually cut a piece of solid copper than turn one of the terminals inward facing and just solder that piece of copper as bridge.

4 Likes

is this a bajaboard g3 battery? its almost identical to mine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes it is, I have 4 of them.

1 Like

I’ve always planned a 10s1p (I have a couple spare cells) on a longboard, cells are a pain but they fit at an odd angles in some double stack encs.

Really interested to see how you get on !

1 Like

I almost have everything I need to make it functional. Ordered all the cabling and 5s JST-XH leads about half an hour ago.

I think you’ll be surprised at what I come up with. FYI 9s LiFePO4 is equal to 8s LiPo, I decided to go 10s because slightly higher voltage and my ESCs can handle it.

If all the cells check out, I actually have enough to build 3x 10s1p packs.

Also, the mock-up is done and it fits in my enclosure.

1 Like

This is exactly what I do, put a ton of flux on it and the connector, heat it up real good, and dump solder into it until it won’t take anymore. Haven’t had one pop out yet

Then I tie a piece of grey/black shoelace to it and call it a day, works well.

1 Like

Ordered some goodies from @NoWind as I’m in an upgrade cycle. So, soon I’ll have @Duffman spacers, 5 degree wedge, 5 degree de-wedge, and elastomere dampers. Can’t wait to get my hands on it!

2 Likes

Niiice! I’m sure you will like the elastomer damper :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Made by the masters, so I have high expectations! :wink:

1 Like

That moment you confirm the power cuts weren’t due to a stuffed battery, but a bad solder joint on a loop key, and that you’ve spent north of $400 USD on replacement batteries for what?

Compounded by the fact that you’ve decided to go a different chemistry in the meantime and have spent money on that too. Could have been worse, but I’d rather have spent it on mechanical brakes.

1 Like

There was an attempted delivery at my house today, but neither my wife or I were at home. Rescheduled for Thursday when I WFH. This would’ve been the Hobbyking package that I’ve been waiting for.

Just did an efficiency calculation, with my commute I’m doing 20.5Wh/km or 33Wh/mi. That’s over a 6km or 3.7mi distance, same route, opposite directions.

1 Like

WFH has its benefits! Hobbyking delivery day! Yasss!

4 Likes