Threaded Inserts: Which ones are best? And why?

My evo looks like it split near one of the inserts near the back and I also put 2 more inserts at the front but used a drill bit that was too large and there isn’t enough grip so they keep coming out. I tried using JB weld but it doesn’t seem to be holding. Any tips?

I’m using m4 hardwood inserts. I tried using softwood inserts before but they kept breaking before they went deep enough.

1 Like

@ABSKnut You could up the size to an m5 or m6 insert? Nvm. I just saw this was a month ago…

1 Like

How are these?

1 Like

They’ll do just fine. Zinc alloy in that color almost always means brass.

alloy is just so cool :sunglasses:

3 Likes

metal inserts work in the vanguard due to the fiberglass bamboo construction

I’ve tried a few different types. EZ-lok, generic, hardwood, softwood flanged, softwood no-flange. I thought there would be a quality difference between EZ-lok and generic, but I’ve not found this to be the case. The branded stuff is equally crappy :slight_smile: The hardwood ones with the thin outer threads, need the holes to be perfect. Otherwise bulging wood, cracking or stripped inserts. Skateboard plys are hard! The softwood ones are a lot more forgiving. The no-flange ones sit flush to the deck, but they can be hard to find in 10mm or shorter. Often because of the concave of the deck, 10mm sounds okay but will sit proud. I’ve taken to grinding them down a bit on a belt grinder. I need epoxy with the softwood ones.

I’ve tried M4, M5 and M6 (trying to stay metric for inserts). I like them all! M6 is all nice and burly and less likely to cross thread, and less worried about cracking the enclosure, but need huge holes in the deck. I think I have a slight preference for M4.

mcmaster is a good place to order EZ-lok. Not cheap, not terribly overpriced.

I have a terrible time with losing screws! Tried loctite (need to reapply every 2-3 cycles), vibra-tite (need to reapply every 5-10 cycles maybe), gasket/washer. Now I’m using a micro torque screwdriver and writing down the settings trying to find the “just right” pressure. I don’t really want to crank these down.

I haven’t tried stainless steel, nor the non-EZ-lok style. Really hate how brittle/soft the zinc and the brass ones are.

Oh I’ve also tried stainless steel T-nuts, 10-32 like our skate hardware. The stainless steel ones are so soft, they deform badly before the prongs seat, and the bending affects the threads. I have to coax them with a hammer while screwing them tight. I’d call this one a fail.

Hm next board I might try running a tap into the wood

Can just use metal thread taps with the hex shanks with a cordless drill. If the screw is big enough the threads are pretty strong and durable.

4 Likes

Agreed on all points. I’ve found almost no difference in quality between generic and fancy.

T nuts are garbage and I will never use them again if possible. My only issue with a tap for a wood thread in the deck would be long term wear and tear. Every time you insert or remove a screw, it’s damaging the wood thread more. You can always fill with wood glue or epoxy and redrill but that seems like an annoying cycle.

But it also seems like you’re already in an annoying cycle sooo f.

I will say my top mounted enclosure with 4 x m5 bolts hasn’t ever come loose and that’s my damn mountainboard. My hummie deck has 13 x m4 bolts, rubber washers under the fender washers, and will still need a hand tightening every 5 rides. Haven’t loctited them yet but I’m getting close.

3 Likes

Check out the youtube video (it’s matthias wandell). surprisingly durable with big-ish screws at least in hard wood. Collaborated by many other youtube woodworker including the wood whisperer.

Funny how differently I look at that video now that you mention those wise folks lol. I’ll give it a watch when I get home. Thanks

Wanted to know the preferred size for inserts.

• M3
  • M4
  • M5
  • M6

0 voters

2 Likes

Bumping it for a few more votes. I am asking because I want to have pre drilled holes for inserts and wanted to find what’s more popular.

I feel M5 is a good size because the trucks take M5 too and is big enough for spreading the force in all directions.

1 Like

for people using M5 inserts can someone please tell me the drill diameter? @MarkOneBoards @ShutterShock @Chaki @rosco @Venom121212

In my experience with inserts from China hole size can vary depending on the style of insert you use for whatever reason. This is my experience with m4 inserts

2 Likes

Wouldn’t you want to look that up on the specs of your particular inserts?

Don’t have it on hand, was hoping a few people would say the same number and i would just use that. I can wait and do it the right way but will lose time.

was hoping to use something like this

1 Like

Hold the drill bit on top of the insert. Pick the drill bit that is the size of the shank of the insert (part minus threads)

3 Likes

Yeah that is what I would do as well.

Yup. This is the approach. Plus a little bit of epoxy on the insert before screwing it in

2 Likes

Sigh! That’s not what I was asking, but thank you all.

1 Like

:man_shrugging: ? Why not check the drill bit size against the actual inserts you are going to use? Are u wanting to drill the holes before having the inserts in your possession…?

I do have a tip though: use a collar or guide to restrict the drill depth so you don’t accidentally go all the way through the deck. A piece of electrical tape wrapped around the drill bit at the right depth as a guide isn’t enough (or wasn’t for me :man_facepalming:)

2 Likes