Threaded Inserts: Which ones are best? And why?

Use the hard word type on a Trampa deck btw

4 Likes

I’ve used the hard wood and soft wood styles above myself. Have to say I preferred the soft wood ones. Just found them easier to work with. They’ve both held up well over time. I used wood glue to secure them instead of epoxy. For me this has worked out really well. First attempt was a disaster. Had to remove, fill and try again. @Psychotiller has a fantastic how-to on the other forum (not sure if it migrated here yet) on how to install the inserts deftly. Would highly recommend checking out if you’re about to do for the first time.

3 Likes

Even though they’re self tapping do you still drill a hole for them and then epoxy them in? Or do you just drill a small divot and screw them in from there?

Thanks for mentioning the bit size too, good info to know for these inserts.

1 Like

Gonna rudely jump on this answer haha.

Drill a pilot hole the size of the shaft of the insert (the part without threads). If you don’t have the exact size drill bit, go a size down. The idea is to get only the threads to cut into the wood and no wood get smashed or compressed.

4 Likes

Am I the only one who just used M5 wood inserts that bite into the wood so hard, that even without glue removal is impossible? :laughing:

6 Likes

I do drill a full hole the length of the insert and use a drill bit collar to make sure I don’t drill all the way through the deck. Just put the insert right next to your bit and find the place where your collar needs to be. If i remember correctly, the trampa 15 ply is about 10mm thick. my insert is 6mm long. I drilled in about 7/8mm and it worked beautifully.

Practice on a piece of wood first. I use loctite 648 btw. You can sort of see in this picture the point at which I apply the loctite. see the insert is halfway in.

There is actually 2 inserts on that screw. the top one is being used to push and screw he bottom one in and when the bottom once is flush with the deck, you just unscrew it and violla, insert inserted. Saw this on a @Psychotiller thread so just stole the idea blatantly :joy:

9 Likes

I use soft wood ones however i fined that if you apply to much torque they tend to crack at the top so. be careful with them.

I actually had a different experience with the ez-lok threaded inserts went with the recommended size and it cause the wood to bulge up and stripped 2 of them trying to get them in. I the drilled the hole to the next size up and it was a lot easier to screw them in. I also used a socket cap screw with a nut I between the insert and the screw head as I have seen the screw head get stuck to the insert.

2 Likes

Interesting! Were you using the hard or soft wood style?

The hex head on the soft wood version makes for a nice install. Gotta keep a decent amount of downward pressure too.

It was the hardwood style.

I haven’t used those on a build yet but have definitely experienced that wood bulge with them on furniture projects

1 Like

I use the ezlok 5m 10mm flanged. Soft wood inserts. I have had some fuck ups but for the most part they work. I and drilling the holes a bit larger now and put super glue gel in before screwing them in. My biggest issue was cracking them before getting them seated all the way. So I went to larger hole to start with.

2 Likes

This link is broken for me. These are what I ordered

And I put JB Weld 8265-S original formula on the threads

2 Likes

I use these. https://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-3-8-Brass-Slotted-Drive-Knife-4ZU69?cm_sp=Home-

I still use epoxy, but good luck getting out regardless.

2 Likes

The ez-lok inserts work great IF you get them to work.

I’ve seen two failure modes. One is if the hole is slightly too small then it will pull up the top layers of ply and leave a mangled mess.

The second is if your installation torque is too high (meaning you need a bigger hole) the installation tool will strip the slots out. The brass they use is very brittle, it has something having to do with no lead and machinability.

I’ve never stripped the threads out though. They’re beefy, thick walled, and have well formed threads.

2 Likes

If you get the E-Z lock kit it comes with the drill bit you need.

1 Like

Probably more expensive but this is the matching one for the ones I use. We order through grainger where I work.

1 Like

These are M4 brass threaded inserts for use with the tool that @mmaner mentioned. However, i don’t use the tool. I made my own tool.

This is a video. They used to display the play icon here but i guess they got retarded. click to view it on insta.

13 Likes

4 Likes

I’m using EZLock, failed at first try, using a hand drill and destroy the top of the insert half way in. I continue with just using some screw that shorter than the insert and screw them in gently, it works.

1 Like