‘The Wingtip’ | 10-pound commuter

Mine is fun, slow, can barely do hills lol. It’s the perfect grocery commuter tho

4 Likes

The theory is right.
Then again plywood is not light. For better utilization of thickness use foam.
Either way don’t forget about localized stresses/buckling with too thin layer.

Dani

1 Like

this has 18 18650s in it. 10 pounds or less is totally possible, might be able to get two more cells if some other weight was shaved somehow.

4 Likes

How much does the rona roller weigh in at, for reference?

1 Like

rona roller: 9S4P single drive on an LY Dinghy with a spark load on the tail and a really heavy enclosure.

just over 16 pounds.

2 Likes

I just checked and my favorite skate weighs in right at 20.0 lbs

the Blue One

3 Likes

weight for fairly normalized lightweight esk8 pneumatic build reference: my daily rider i just rode through freshly ground up streets after a rain:

1 Like

Just to be pedantic, that’s a picture of a split scimitar winglet on a 737. Not a normal wingtip

Coincidentally winglet is a great choice for this project as winglets like the one in the photo are predominantly used by short haul airliners as they improve climb performance at the expense of induced drag. This trade off is only worth it for the really short routes. And that’s why larger airliners use raked wingtips.

This has been Plane Facts.

Text STOP to cancel Plane Facts.

11 Likes

OOof I really like the look of those clever tires on the bergs

2 Likes

Been busy this week, so wanna share some thoughts.

Currently watching videos about stm32 programming, bc I wanna move further then good old avr thingies. So yeah, the brains and remote of the wingtip will be stm32-based. The data transmission will be organized on the HC-12 modules, that work flawlessly for me for a long time with no issues.

The antispark and receiver are going to be on the same PCB, which connects directly to the rear of the VESC. This design leads to a good space-management, very clean look and the wires floating around minimized.

1 Like

@jbshayward this looks awesome!

For reference, how much does this weigh?

5 Likes

Right about 15.5lbs

5 Likes

Could you make like a balsa or foam mount, and then just skin it in CF?

That seems like it might be a pretty easy DIY.

1 Like

It does look awesome.

Do a kick flip.

Are those the ride unlimited hub wheels?

Do they sell them separately?

Yes, here you go:

Not cheap tho. 220 euros per wheel.
1 Like

Wow.
Thanks.
That is pricey as hell.

I will keep waiting for you to post a video of the kick flip :wink:

3 Likes

Guys, i need suggestion on the battery connector. Xt60 seems an overkill for 1p p42a, so… Deans or xt30?

I would use XT30 over a Deans connector but if 10 lbs is the goal, you better just solder and heatshrink and seal because it’s less metal. And I’d run 16AWG

2 Likes

16 awg wires are already in the cart :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

PSA:
When soldering on a live battery, remember to completely finish, wrap, and seal, one wire before taking the tape & insulation off the other wire.

And oh yeah tape the ends of EVERY wire that you’re not CURRENTLY working on.

It’s not overkill, it’s being smart.

11 Likes