The Penetrator | A waterproof Evo for commuting in the UK

Yeah I wonder too, if my friend gets a circlip tool we might find out one day :laughing:

1 Like

Current state of the board:

Waiting for tools to fix the gear drive, and a spare innertube to fix a flat that happened while working on the board.

But to end on a happier note, I’d like to share with you a ride that my friend and I went on when I went to visit him in April, because Porter Robinson was touring in Edinburgh :slight_smile:

Scotland :upside_down_face:

Have to wear waders to play golf every time I visit.

Ah yea I remember addressing this before
That being said, the solder joints shown in the below image aren’t really any better than the positive charge was on mine, its the fact the nickel was not scuffed enough that caused issues. Just because the solder is pooled in a ball like that, doesnt mean its actually bonded to the nickel (Something I’ve found out with my own testing/finding issues) (The joints aren’t cold they’re just not bonded to the nickel well enough)

1 Like

I brought my analog longboard with me, and our goal was to see the famous Forth bridge, since I had never been there, despite studying in Edinburgh for 4 years myself.

7 miles (or 11km) one way, it was a perfect route for the range of this board.

We started off skating by the beach

Since the tide was low, we were able to walk across Cramond Causeway, and visit Cramond island :smiley:

We then continued along Almond River, sometimes going offroad, until we reached a bridge that would take us outside of the city territory.

The offroad parts were just okay on my longboard. Wish I had dadbod wheels, lol. Anyway, outside the city for the first half of the route there were nice wide pavements and even a separate roadway for cyclists :slight_smile: Lots of pretty nature

The sidewalk got narrow and rought, and there was one hill where I had to constantly switch between footbraking to not get wobbles, and keeping my feet on the board to control it because the ground was so bumpy and full of gravel :sweat_smile: Times like that is when I wish I had an action cam filming me at all times lol. Luckily I didn’t die.

We stopped at a restaurant to charge up the board a little, and have some seafood. Sitting still in the wind was actually really fucking cold, which was crazy since I was sweating my balls off earlier :sweat_smile: At least the food was good :slight_smile:

We then skated to a nearby pier / dock because I have a cool wallpaper of this bridge that I know was shot from there :smile:

Perfect tarmac :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

The waiter at the restaurant told us that there are some really great trails that downhill skateboarders like to visit, son on our way back we took the first left down a private-looking road, and were amazed to find that instead of traveling by the highway we could have been skating through a beautiful park with perfect asphalt and farm animals roaming around free :heart_eyes:

As I was busy taking photos while casually skating down a hill, I was suddently startled by the sound of motorbikes! A group of sur-ron riders appeared out of nowhere, and I was able to get some sick shots of them doing wheelies :smiley:

The park goes on for a while.
I highly recommend checking out Dalmery park if you’re ever in Edinburgh! :slight_smile:

Bonus pics from the way back home, already back in the city territory:

And here are some random clips I filmed from that day. Skateboarding footage looks slow because I had my 70-300mm lens on, so everything is super zoomed in :laughing: I’m surprised it’s even somewhat stable hand-held

5 Likes

I’ve found that with good solder (that contains a flux core) I can easily pre-tin the nickel and get a pool of solder on there, and then solder on any wires that I need to. I’ll let others debate whether those joints were cold or not, but IMO if they were hotter then the physical bond between the nickel and solder would have been stronger.

1 Like

my friend tis a pavement
good thread, the best kind of riding is exploring places

2 Likes

When i made my jumpers on the Arythmia board, i wanted ot to be waterproof but also not rigid, i used liwuid electrical tape to fill the mt30 so that it was both flexible and waterproof.

Edinburgh is plenty wet at times, love that horizontal rain, a waterproof deck there is a must.

Great build and fine tuning

1 Like

I really gotta buy some of that finally; just haven’t seen it available anywhere locally.

1 Like

Mmm ?

Ever since the first pics of the Orangutang dadbod wheels leaked I’ve been wanting to upgrade my pushboard on kegels to them. Now they’re out, but they’re so expensive I’m not sure I want to :sweat_smile:

I’ve been out of the loop for few months, haven’t heard of them, they’d help you ride an analog board on dirt trail ?

Well, they’re bigger wheels, and bigger = better for offroading :smiley:

1 Like