The PANDA ULTRABOARD | Custom deck + wooden Enclosure | Aluminium Brackets | DDs |12S2P

Hello,

First, sorry about the bad quality of the pictures but I’m in lockdown, my appartment is dark and my phone is crappy.

As you may know I like to model 3D concepts of (imaginary) boards and after several people told me to build one of them, I decided that it was time, so here is the story:

The concept I choose was based on my existing motors + battery + ESC (for obvious financial reasons :slight_smile: )

Here is what started the whole journey:

Went from this 3D design

To this

As you noticed, this one has a wooden enclosure. I liked the challenge and thought I could do it (did I anticipate how painfull it would be??? Noooooo)
So I ordered a @Roarockit kit including a vacuum bag, a foam mold, some glue and enough plys to build the whole deck + enclosure

Using my 3D was really helpful to get the right dimensions and print technical plans
I then formed the foam to the desired concave and put the plys inside the vacuum press for a few hours
It was in the middle of the summer and temperature was high, so I think the glue dried too quicly and this was the first mistake (but we’ll talk about that later)

It was then time to cut the deck :champagne:

This was my first try at bending the wood after soaking it in the water.
It lookdes ok and made me very confident (second mistake :stuck_out_tongue: )

Let’s jump diectly to enclosure pressing

The wood bent and took the right shape when wet but after it dried it cracked bad in the most angled parts so I had to add some “patches” of wood at the ends (to cover the ugliness)
I thought it was looking quite ok, even if not as clean as what I imagined :wink:

The main parts were done, I just had to sand, sand, sand a bit, put epoxy, sand, and sand some more etc…
I found an aluminium Heatsink and decided it would look cool
It was again maybe a bad idea as it looked indeed cool but it was too thick and my ESC didn’t fit in there so I had to put the ESC beside the heatsink which is close to useless :laughing:

Then I received the brackets
The most beautifull thing you can imagine
BEAUTIFULL :heart_eyes:

So I finally assembled this baby but when I screwed the enclosure, the deck cracked.
There was 8 inserts in there and the pressure was too much for the plys that were probably poorly glued. :sweat_smile:

I then decided to get rid of the inserts and go through the deck with the screws.!
It eventually was even nicer as it added a touch of “mechanical stuff” to otherwise really woody deck :wink:
Oh I also painted my DKP and Motors in aluminium with some spray paint.

Here are some shots of the final beast

That’s all folks

Thnaks to everybody who helped in the way
Thanks @pixelsilva for the funny board name :wink:
Sorry again for the quality of the pictures :sweat_smile:

56 Likes

This deck and enclosure combo is genius :smiley:
Everything just perfect.
DIY level 100!
AWESOME.

7 Likes

This looks awesome :smiley:
How flexy the deck is?

1 Like

Wait, the deck cracked just from the inserts, but you decided to use it anyway? :eyes:

I’ve heard that wood ply doesn’t like bending in more than 1 direction at a time; I think a fiberglass enclosure would be more appropriate for this shape. (Maybe even the deck too)

Are you using any grip, or just the metal foot stops that look deadly? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

It’s flexy without the enclosure, perfect with it

1 Like

Yes I used the deck even if it split on two small points. I think it’s gonna be ok (Put glue in the cracks and there’s now 12 screws holding this together)

There is glass frit on there :wink:

1 Like

…and this is how the Panda Ultraboard F1:fr: has entered the race for the 2020 Board Of The Year contest :skateboard:. We got a runner here!! @mmaner, @longhairedboy

2 Likes

Ahah thanks
But isn’t he 2020 race over ? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No, I don’t think it has even started yet. Usually it finishes around mid December.

1 Like

It looks beautiful dude, HELLLLZ yeah one of the more unique builds of the year. Do what’s all in it component wise? Looks like gbombs and DD’S of some sort. Esc and battery deets?

3 Likes

Thanks!
The board’s components are taken from my 2019 Eovan board: Elofty DDs gen2, ESC based on VESC, 12s2p 9.6AH battery
Nothing fancy really, but it gets the job done :wink:
The wondefull brackets are from IDEA

1 Like

…and the deck’s concept is based on a @DavidF symetrical variation of the specialized long distance pump FGM V2.0 short neck platform deck for double deep drop G/Bomb brackets from Cobo Boards.

@DavidF’s clone version was enlarged with a symetrical profile and fitted with the newest @IDEA deep drop fork brackets specially made for Esk8, the first ever production brackets in the hobby.

3 Likes

A little selfish bump, just because I spent some time on it and it deserves it :innocent:

4 Likes

FTFY
Fair enough too bro.
The effort and work in this build is admirable. :+1:

3 Likes

1 Like