THE New Go-FOC DV4s

I can’t because it immediately starts working again.

P42a can support 45a per cell. 90 should be fine.
Do I need to divide that in half because it’s 45a per side?

Also what does slow abs current true supposed to do?

Its “45” in theory. In the real world, 45A heats those cells up more than you should be doing for a continuous load without any cooling to the pack. The realistic value is roughly 30A cont.

Also, VESC settings are per side.

8 Likes

if the motor settings are 35a per side why would it pull more than that

Basically it’s complicated. There’s a thread for it somewhere

1 Like

Motor currents != battery currents
You can read more about them if you are intrested

3 Likes

it won’t, it’ll only pull up to 35 battery amps per side in your case.

your settings are unusual though. most people run higher motor current limits than battery current limits.

2 Likes

Battery current will never be more than 95% of the motor current

2 Likes

I am trying to set up the vesc, but i’ve run into some problems.
I reuploaded the custom 5.03 firmware on the vesc, but the custom parts of the software aren’t custom:

After uploading the firmware it says “Phase Filters: No”

but when I go down to FOC - Filters it has “Enable Phase Fiter” on True.

In General App settings the “Shutdown Mode” is on ALWAYS_ON instead of OFF_AFTER_30M and “Can Status Message Mode” is also different.

The thing I am most confused by is that phase filters are set to NO on the firmware tab, but on the “About phase filters” page on the makerX website the DV4s
included on the list of vesc that don’t have phase filters.

1 Like

The phase filter setting ture or false on VESC TOOL does not have any effect, because vesc4 does not have this feature by default, neither hardware nor firmware.

Button settings, the right side set the shutdown time, and the left side ESC set to ALWAYS ON. So that the buttons and ESC can work properly

4 Likes

i used the auto motor detection feature, it put the power at 35.xx amps. per motor. i dropped it down to 30 amps to be on the safe side.

You should be able to run more motor amps than that without a problem.

Absolute current limit will slow the board when it hits that max instead of causing a hard cut and lockup

This is incorrect terminology and misleading. If you hit your ABS current limit and exceed it (vesc is really bad about honoring current limits btw), it will 100% cut out and easily can throw you. It’s happened to me

The amp limits that you set for the motors gotta be lower than the abs max.

But yes, you definitely should be able to run higher amps than that. Usually there is no need to set the ABS max any different than it comes from the mfg. It should be set to the max allowable for the hardware, and you should set your current limits for the motors no higher than recommended as well.

I’m talking about slow abs current limit dude. What are you on about? If it hits that with the filter on it will slow the board and will not lockup like you say, from my experience anyway

Well you didn’t say “slow” abs current, that’s a checkbox you can select in the vesc tool

And no, unfortunately, it doesn’t work like that lol. I wish it did

This ^^ is to protect the esc from blowing up

Yeah sorry that’s what I was referring to. And from my experience yes that is what happens

Well - I see that now, but if you jumped in where I did, the confusion makes more sense.

Anyway, it has not worked like that for me - makes no difference as far as I’ve seen, but it could be because I run right at ESC limits most of the time, rather than way under, at 35a

Yeah i run all my gear on the upper end too. I’ve hit that current limit uphill with filter off and it’s a shit way to crash. Filter on, it’s just been a drop in power and red and blue lights flashing on the davega.

Lol wtf I wish mine worked like that. I have it turned on and I faceplant if I hit it

e.g. launching full power, and then slamming into the ground at like 5mph

Guessing you run stock “fault time out” of 500ms.

Drop it way down for a better shot of not breaking an old man hip