The Loud Zoomy Boi——21S4P——Red Ember 44——Build Thread

Build update. I went to visit @Skyart to pick up my board and saw some used 173kv SKP motors sitting on the shelf and they had full length shafts, so I ended up also buying those.

My lacroix has always had slightly low of a top speed (35 mph). For the last 25% of rides, it doesn’t quite go as fast as I want, and I end up hitting max duty cycle. Moving from 151kv to 173kv bumps me up to 40mph top speed, which will be perfect for this board.

This also works out because they are both v5 reachers, so I can swap the cans, and use the full length shafts on the Red Ember, with the 151kv stators.

Reachers coming off the Croix.

Do yourself a favor and get a $9 bearing puller off amazon.

Ready for the can swap.

new bearings for one of the 173kv stators

Loctite 638 applied, and everything is back together with 173kv modors on the 5.5 BN straights

4 Likes

Another build update. I got everything put together and honestly was pretty disappointed with how high the ride height was. Luckily, with 3-links I can do something about that.

Look at the ride height here - ewwww

All the parts coming off the board that I just put together a day before…

3 link dissassembly

Drilling out the redember deck

Fit is good

Still has good clearance

Plenty of clearance at full lean

I also shaved some unneeded material off the motor mount plates, so that I can get them closer to the deck, giving me more ground clearance, and lean before things bump together.

Next up is some more angle grinder work on the motor plates. The cross bar is a few mm lower than it needs to be. I’d like to drill another hole for it, and grind off the unneeded material that is costing me ground clearance right now.

8 Likes

We are done!

14 Likes

First ride. Everything feels great. These tires are very comfy and grippy at 30psi.

The srb straight cuts are so freaking loud compared to my BN straight cuts. Full face required to not go deaf riding these for any distance lol

4 Likes

That deck, enclosure and wheel combo look so hawt together. Yummy.

4 Likes

This is :ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

7 Likes

So sick. Those pentagram wheels look so good on it.

2 Likes

Lol, I’ve also had to use a screw in order to get the pinion fully off.

2 Likes

Nice! You can go lower than 30, I usually am racing at 22 psi

Oh wait you’re on tubes nvm

Also ew hfi lol why did you do that when you have perfectly good sensors?

1 Like

hahahaha you have such a deep burning hatred for HFI you even hear it when it’s nowhere to be found. :laughing:

There is no HFI here, I’ve got good sensors on these reachers and I don’t have any plans to run HFI.

The sensor placement on these reachers is quite smart. The sensors are on the mount side of the motor, so debri doesn’t destroy them if something flies in the open cans.

The reachers are very quiet, so maybe you’re hearing the open gear grunt and confusing that with HFI?

Nah fam its there, you can hear it in the video - how did you set up your motors?

Unless its a reacher thing - you can hear high frequency right before you take off, and right when you brake, just like hfi

There is no sound like that to be found on any of the non-hfi boards I’ve setup

1 Like

Good lord Ryan, there is no HFI here, and the reachers are in fact super quiet.

It’s hilarious that you’re insisting there is an HFI noise. It’s probably just a change in the way I’m holding my phone or shielding the mic. Considering how much experience I have testing different kinds of HFI, you might think I would be able to identify if my own board was making the HFI noise. But no, please go ahead and tell me more about my own build.

1 Like

@ShutterShock here’s another video just for you

• I hear HFI in the video above
  • I hear straight cut SRB gears (Ryan is hearing things)

0 voters

If ya feel like you lost too much turn up front by dropping the axel(which drops the angle) hit me up, there are options to get it back.
Board looks mint dude!

2 Likes

Thanks man. I’m going to run it like this for a bit. Feels not so turny at low speed but at 20+ it feels quite good. I haven’t pushed it at all yet, so I gotta get more miles in.

2 Likes

It’s still there - maybe reachers are noisier than flipsky on FOC? Or maybe its the 21s idk. I will admit it is a lot quieter than other HFI videos I’ve heard. Could just be motor noise :man_shrugging:

I don’t think I know your build better lol I’ve just seen vesc tool auto apply hfi before because vesc things

It’s still awesome either way, I’m impressed how much you got done in one weekend lol

1 Like

you’re clearly not circumcised

i got some video just for you cumming soon :kissing_heart:

… What?

I honestly don’t know what noise you’re talking about. I can tell you from experience riding the board, the only noise that you hear is the stooge 1.5 mod gears. They are aggressively loud.

Appreciated - it’s been a marathon build week

2 Likes

My reachers did a thing last time out. One of the rear motors started doing that stuttery nonsense like a bad hall. Turned off the esc and turned it back on again and it went away. I’m considering running hfi just on the rears just incase something really plays up. I like noises

1 Like