The Last Power Supply (Charger) You'll Ever Need

YEs this is good. since you can use the logi to power the PSU,s thats a good way to go. or just set the PSUs to always-on via the logic, and switch the mains, which is what I do.

always a good move. usually, when going to charge something, I set to a voltage close to the battery (50V) and have the current limited to like 1A, then connect the output/

yes totally fine. if there is no output there is no current, but the voltage will go up. To be safe you can use a dmm and measure the output of the converter and see if its over-spec or something. like set to 50.4v and measure. anything within a few thents of a volt is fine. the actual battery will only be charged to the cutoff of the BMS.

Remember that if you power on with a battery as a source , you dont have the current protection of the PSUs. unless you’re in a rush, i would build the PSU stack first. and test with that

4 Likes

NOTED

What is this exactly?

1 Like

A diy charger (bench top power supply really) with variable voltage and amperage. Can charge any battery up to 22s at 20a or 14s at 50a , depending on components.

Generally can be built for under $200 from the converter, several used server supplies and and old pc case.

2 Likes

you should probably add the word “power” to the title

just a thought (I had a bitch of a time trying to find this thread and I even knew it was here)

1 Like

timestamped link to interesting part

6 Likes

That’s super cool. Just needs a display and you’re set.

Super small and powerful for.that price!

1 Like

yeah I am not finding it for as cheap as he said however.

not too great for this price given the mods needed.

4 Likes

You did a really great effort putting all this info together, I think some of the process could use a little better explanation and demonstration.

I just found this and it looks like a nice explanation of the isolation steps.

actual demonstration starts at 6:50

I guess it is hard to know what exact steps are needed for whatever power supply you get. Your cardstock choice seems very general purpose.

1 Like

oh jehu did a video too

guess I missed that

he covers the isolation in all of about 30 seconds.

2 Likes

Yup lots of info out there. I kind of mentioned it but each supply Model is different.

I tried to give it a general explanation. Ut yeah you’re right. 25 minute video explaining bot much haha

1 Like

it has all good info, with only the occasional drill shart noise interruption. The issue being you need to watch it more than once to really understand from a beginner perspective, and it seems daunting and confusing with all the info not following along at the same time.

Personally would have preferred a bunch of steps with explications and pictures but maybe that is out there already, haven’t really looked.

Can’t really nitpick free knowledge! too much at least :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Lolwut

I appreciate any feedback!

2 Likes

Don’t expect an amazing B+ Tier Uteuber video from ya

Guess it would be cool if a bunch of us could get different power supplies and all show how we do the isolation.

1 Like

This is a nice resource for the low voltage enable stuff
https://pinoutguide.com/

as far as isolation. you just have to look it up before hand. I recommend getting other supplies if you cant find a clear answer pretty much immediately.

What?

Ain’t nobody got time to watch a whole 20 minute video to find these

Anyone got a timestamp?

2 Likes

During the isolation part I think idk I’ll rewatch it for you.

2 Likes

It’s at 9:13 and I think it’s my fiance falling over something haha :joy:

2 Likes

LoL that’s hilarious

Sounds like a fan getting knocked over :rofl:

1 Like

anotha one