The Hoyt St. Puck Remote: You Probably Want It

It was a nolan/northrop grumman amalgamation.

Welcome @bourbon_norm

Mind if we call you Norm from now on?

4 Likes

In recognition of the bourbon thread I could be happy with Bourbon Norm. To differentiate with the beer Norm. Beer is too filling and not that it is a bad thing but I donā€™t see a reason to desire pissing more often.

3 Likes

You will fit in here absolutely perfectly my friend lol

3 Likes

There. Made it official.

4 Likes

Hey Norm. Welcome!

I like you already.

1 Like

glad to hear my concerns are completely unfounded. I apologize for spreading misinformation. I just bought one and Iā€™m gonna buy the plastic one too when it comes out for my other board.

1 Like

I love my remote so much! Absolutely beautiful.

The only complaint I have with the remote after using it for going on about 8 months is the vibrating at the end of battery life. Once my remote reaches a certain limit of battery it just starts vibrating and wont stop till its dead. It seems super wasteful to do that. Either than that its been a beaut.

3 Likes

That is weird. Iā€™ve never actually run mine that low, but that seems really counter productive. How often does it vibrate?

1 Like

When itā€™s close to dead it will just vibrate continuously. Itā€™s hella nerve racking as I know that vibration is definitely killing the battery faster than it would if wasnā€™t.

2 Likes

Lol thatā€™s a pretty goofy design. I personally just charge my remote every time I charge my board (as Iā€™m sure most everyone does) but this is still a design flaw even if it isnā€™t detrimental it could be fixed easily in the future. Did you let Jeff know about this?

The puck has a battery life longer than most remotes Iā€™ve tried. I charge it maybe one every 5 days. I havenā€™t messaged Jeff about it. Maybe @DerelictRobot could pass along the information? I wonder if the midnight puck does this as well.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any more updates on these? Still scheduled for June?

@DerelictRobot mentioned they were still 2-3 months out.

Damn, I might have to just get an extra receiver until then. Has anyone had any issues switching one remote back and forth to multiple receivers?

1 Like

The binding process is simpler than most remotes, very easy.

2 Likes

Itā€™s the same PCB/firmware so I believe it will have the same behavior with low battery alarm.

I agree with you, and thought the same thing. On the other hand it can be viewed as a safety incentive on their part: you shouldnā€™t be riding with a low battery at all, ideally, so it will noisily complain until you charge it.

1 Like

Oh 100% I agree with you. However I wish you could tap one of the buttons to acknowledge it and it can come back on again afterwards. I would like to know from Hoyt, at exactly what percentage of battery triggers the alarm.

1 Like

And then the one guy out there accidentally silences it, and his remote cuts out mid ride.

I think it would be better if it wasnā€™t such an aggressive vibration, but I prefer it over the silent red light we get on the Nano.

Iā€™ve chosen safety over convenience at a few design decisions with OSRR, so I can see how some of these things might be intentional.

Dunno on battery level, I can ask them. Iā€™ve rode the remote until it was dead after the alarm came on and recall there being 30+ minutes left.

A vibration at like 20%, then a more intense one at like 15, 10, 5. Would be better than it just staying on. In all seriousness that is legit my only complaint with this remote. At least it lets me know itā€™s dying haha. Also yeah I was on a group ride and rode for about 30 myself. It didnā€™t cut out on me though. When it cut out on you were you on the board?

1 Like