The life after cancer thread

Looking great!!!

My best wishes and luck with the chemo!

2 Likes

Man this is fucking beautiful, and looks like a beast!! I’m sure the sole thought of shredding through the trails will help you get through shitty cancer. Best of luck!!

5 Likes

Really nice build! :slight_smile: It’s cool to see all the awesome diy builds with the Flux deck :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Would it be too low if you used the 110mm TB thanes with the enclosure that comes with it ???

1 Like

I lost my dad a few months ago to cancer, a month from diagnosis, still expect my dad to walk through the door. Cancer is a horrible thing.
Love your build, prayers are with you bro

11 Likes

Someone did that and looks fucking incredible. I think they used some risers.
Gotta try and find a link.

3 Likes

Oh my gosh. This breaks my heart to read this. I cant imagine what you and your family have had to go through over the last few months. Feel free to reach out if you need to chat. I’m here for you man.

3 Likes

Thank you for the kind words. And thanks for the kick ass design, manufacturing quality, affordable pricing, and excellent delivery logistics. It was great to get to support your business in this venture.

2 Likes

Thanks man, means a lot to me

1 Like

I hope you enjoy this song as much as I do man.

Stay strong.

3 Likes

This build looks super pro!

I gotta see how it lives up to our expectations.

2 Likes

That board is bad ass. Anything closed cell will work. You could use the stuff you were going to use as a gasket as a cushion for the battery.

2 Likes

Thanks man! Oh… I like that idea of using the provided foam as cushioning.

2 Likes

I have noticed that when i’m under stress and trouble-minded i turn to my old love; skateboarding. I was quite fanatic at it begin 90’s. These last 5 years i’ve been back at it ! Skateboarding frees up your mind . Like for some people doing art, gardening, or other creative things. Body+mind and all that jazz…
You building this deck is awesome , i hope to be doing this coming time. Great stuff; you are enspiring.

When i have skated on a nice sunny day and have totally drained the battery carving + shredding , i noticed that my body + mind have loaded up to the MAX ! Skating will help you , no doubt . You go for it man !

6 Likes

Dude, I totally agree. Discharging my electric skateboard is an incredible way to recharge my physical body. There is something about this hobby that is so liberating. The speed and wind on my face. That sensation of flying. I love it.

Thanks man. That’s quite a compliment, considering this is my second build.

I finally got to take the board out for it’s maiden ride yesterday afternoon. It was supposed to rain all day, so I traveled 40 miles to the nearest parking garage. I was on a hunt for dry pavement.

The board was very pleasant to ride. Reasonable acceleration and very stable at speed. This is my first time riding on pneumatic wheels, so it’s going to take some time to feel confident on them. It felt like I was going to break traction during turns, so I never really pushed it hard. My only two complaints:

1. Belt skipping: The belts were tensioned just like my urethane build, with about an 1/8" of belt movement (when moving the belts up and down). I didn’t experience any belt skipping during acceleration or light / medium-heavy braking. When practicing some emergency brake tests (full braking at speed), the belts would skip nearly every time. I’m going to try re-tensioning the belts so that they are completely taut with no play. I’m hoping that this doesn’t create any excessive wear on my components.
  2. Not enough carve: I normally weigh ~150lbs, but have already lost about 11lbs since starting chemotherapy. The trucks are currently on the orange bushings. I could not get this board to carve, no matter how hard I pushed. Just no lean at all. My RKP trucks can carve harder than this. I ordered some yellow bushings last night and am hoping that helps this board carve more easily.

Here are some pictures that I took at the parking garage yesterday:

I’m sorry if you guys are tired of seeing pictures of this board! It’s just so pleasing to see in person. I can’t help myself!

26 Likes

Try swapping just the fronts to yellow front before going double yellow. The stiffer rear really helps at speed to keep the wobbles down. I wish I would have waited on sending your package, I have 2 extra yellows I’d have included :expressionless:

3 Likes

Interesting. I’d be happy to give that a try. Do you have a recommendation on how to tension the bushings? The fronts are currently in the loosest position possible. The rears are set up so that the tips of the bushing are lightly touching the hanger. Grazing… if you will.

1 Like

On one of my boards, they’re set up so there’s about 1mm gap between the metal base of the bushing and the truck hanger. The other board has the same bushing setup but both are tightened to where they’re just touching the hanger. I think they get a bit looser with age and require a quarter turn tightening every 3-6 months.

Also, if you dye them, I recommend using a nail or brad set to put an identifier on them so you can tell later.

3 Likes

This :point_up:, for real, good quote!

9 Likes

The belts skipping ; are you running 15mm width or 20mm belts ?