The life after cancer thread

Great project and greater mindset!

I wish you all the best and many many miles on your skate! :blush:

2 Likes

Brilliant. Very nice build. Something I’m also planning on doing.

Godspeed to you, and much strength. :pray:

The human spirit is a difficult thing to crush; give it hell and stay strong.

3 Likes

Holding off for the Black Friday sales proved to valuable. Thanks @torqueboards for the great prices and quick shipping. Ordered the motors on Wednesday and they showed up this morning.

Mounted them up this evening so I could test fit the pulleys and belts. Everything lines up really nicely. Just had to trim off a tiny bit of the motor shaft to keep it from rubbing on the tire.

I bought some belts from @rafaelinmissouri. Thanks for the perfect belt size! You nailed it.

Pics:

18 Likes

Looking nice as heck! Will be great having it all buttoned up and everything.

2 Likes

Duuuuude.

it is so sexy.
got damn…

2 Likes

Did it just for you @Venom121212

9 Likes

Hell yeah dude. Those are gonna look sexy in there :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Awesome looking board. You have a great outlook and that is important. My wife has a friend that had stage 4 Hodgkin’s and she did intensive chemo and it kicked her ass but she has a young kid and we just made sure we were there to help with whatever. She beat it and then it came back in a few months which is common with Hodgkin but she is finished now treatments now and feels great.

Cancer is on both sides of my family so I’m fucked but. You can beat this just think of who you are fighting for and live everyday.

8 Likes

What have you left to do to get finished

As a 45yr old, married, father of three, I find your story both scary and inspiring. I love that you’re taking the fight to cancer and using esk8 as a way to bring your family together and maintain your mental state during tough times. Fuck cancer

Also, very clean build.

9 Likes

Thanks man. I appreciate the encouragement. Glad to hear your wife’s friend is recovered and cancer free. Sorry to hear about cancer being on both sides of your family. Not sure what your food intake is like, but diet is so important. Of course I’m learning about this now that I have cancer. Ugh.

Just need to confirm my VESC tool settings, finalize my phase wire integration with the enclosure, get my enclosure gasket mounted, then mount the enclosure to the deck. Pretty dang close. It would be ready to ride this weekend, but I start chemo on Friday and have to carry a mechanical pump around with me until Monday morning.

It is pretty scary. I didn’t have any of the typical symptoms. I feel great, don’t have any pain, great energy and never get sick. The colonoscopy was somewhat routine, with the intention of diagnosing some digestive issues that I have been experiencing this year.

Life is fragile. Everything can change in a moments notice. Nothing on this earth lasts forever. Hold your loved ones close and cherish the small things. If you ever want to talk about faith, don’t hesitate to hit me up.

13 Likes

Some time symptoms are the slightest thing. My wife’s friend had a pain in her hip that just wasn’t going away and didn’t have any bruises. She found out right before thanksgiving 2018. If there is something that doesn’t feel right in your body that is when you need to check it out

3 Likes

Day #1 of chemo. Here we go boys. I’m about to kick the shit out of some cancer.

58 Likes

Good luck man

1 Like

It’s been one week since my first chemo treatment. Finally have enough stamina to work on the board again, so I thought I’d make a push to finish the build.

The first thing to do was to cover the entire battery in kapton tape. All series and balance wire connections that resulted in a raised material condition was then covered with an adhesive backed felt tape.

The next step was to figure out how to gasket the enclosure. The provided material from Flux Motion is waaaaay too soft and will crush easily during installation. The consequence of this is a few undesirable conditions: not enough clearance for the series connection wires and the enclosure bolts will come loose after a few rides.

I bought this rubber material from Amazon. It’s the same exact thickness as the provided gasket from Flux and comes in a 2" width. You can easily cut the material in half with scissors and hot glue to the enclosure. Then drill out the holes for the enclosure bolts and you are good to go.

Couldn’t pass up the opportunity to bling out the enclosure bolts, so I picked up these M5 cone washes. They sure look purty.

First enclosure bolt installed with a drop of blue loctite.

Then the tedious task of installing all the other bolts. I’m SO happy to report that every single pre-installed threaded insert by Flux Motion was perfectly located. I didn’t have any trouble with alignment. Hats off to @EboardSolutions. I’ve attempted to install threaded inserts on my last board, and it’s very difficult to get the alignment this good.

One thing I forgot to mention, is that I didn’t use the predrilled holes for running my phase wires. The spacing is pretty awkward and interferes with the internal component layout. Your build may be just fine though… To avoid this, I laid my phase wires flat and covered them with a thick adhesive backed shrink tube. Once wrapped, it was the same exact thickness as the gasket. Then cut a small gap in the rubber gasket for the phase wire to pass through. Looks really clean and is super simple to do. Let me know if anyone wants to see some finished pics with the enclosure installed.

Installed my dyed black MBS bushings. Once you go black… well… never mind.

Added a TB decal to my remote so I can distinguish the Flux remote from my other remotes. How does everyone else keep their remotes labeled? Just curious.

She’s finally on all fours again. Completely buttoned up and ready for its maiden journey.

Can’t stop looking at that ass…

Because ultraboard:

Of course its raining today, and supposed to rain for the next week. So I decided to take it for a straight line spin in the garage. I’m happy to say that the acceleration and brakes felt great. This is my first FOC sensored build. Shocked by how quiet the motors are. And not having to push start? Wow, I’m speachless. Definitely a luxury I’m not used to.

Really looking forward to the next day with dry weather. Hoping to finally experience what this whole carver hype is all about.

38 Likes

Looks awesome man and good luck with the chemo

Seriously awesoem build

3 Likes

Looking great!!!

My best wishes and luck with the chemo!

2 Likes

Man this is fucking beautiful, and looks like a beast!! I’m sure the sole thought of shredding through the trails will help you get through shitty cancer. Best of luck!!

5 Likes

Really nice build! :slight_smile: It’s cool to see all the awesome diy builds with the Flux deck :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Would it be too low if you used the 110mm TB thanes with the enclosure that comes with it ???

1 Like