The Flowstate / Glyphiks Semensteeze - The Semendeed Reborn

I’m pretty sure that when I decided on the length of nose and tail I was working to 7 inch tires on the innermost position.

Aiming for versatile configuration without needing to trim the body of the deck, but in a lot of cases it could definitely be trimmed for length… hell, my personal one got trimmed down to a 42 :rofl:

3 Likes

Thanks @zero_ads is that where it’s starts to curve up of the drop down or counting the curve so your locked in?

2 Likes

I included the curve up, so top of the curve roughly.

For the fiberglass and carbon-fiber, are you using plain fabric or pre-preg sheets (fabric pre-impregnated with epoxy)? I’ve looked into using pre-preg inside my decks, but that stuff costs $$$$. Also, fabric on the outside has its advantages despite being labor intensive.

5 Likes

Just the fabrics. I’ve never heard of the pre-pref sheets before so I’ll definitely look in to that.

I have found previously that a top carbon fabric skin seems to make the most impact on reducing the flex.

Assuming the mad curves in this deck will also help too.

These will also have the non flexy enclosures which will obviously make a big difference too.

PS: I live your decks man - I had one myself for a couple years.

5 Likes

:thinking:
I’d expect underside of the deck to make most impact on lengthwise flex. That’s where the veneer will be in tension and a CF skin will help that the most.

You made me realize today I could run a tad narrower. Currently:

Now:

6 Likes

Bluetooth motor pinion?

7 Likes

You know it. I got that new new tech. How I get dynamic ratios :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

2 Likes

Yep I completely agree with that notion but I’ve tried it both ways and no idea why but top definitely stiffens from my experience - but yea, makes no sense in theory

1 Like

Same deck layup and shape. One skinned top / one bottom. Top skinned one has significantly less flex for some reason

8 Likes

Different weaves / weights?
Different resin / fabric ratio?
Both applied same method?
Vac bag?
Same veneer quality and glue method / deck stiffness before skinning?
Both tested with enclosure mounted?

1 Like

Everything completely the same however the top skinned one was a different weave pattern and I from memory it was a blend of carbon and something else. So maybe that’s it.

The top skinned one looks like a carbon/innegra weave

1 Like

In concrete slabs, its the top reinforcement spreads load more evenly and resists tension stresses

2 Likes

It’s easy to just think about the qualities of the fabric (CF, basalt, fiberglass) when we use it on/in our decks, but the epoxy is equally important. After the epoxy cures it is essentially a sheet of plastic that is being reinforced by the fabric. This is what forms the composite. The mechanical qualities of the epoxy and fabric combined make the party happen.

If that foam doesn’t do the job of making a sheet of plastic, I’m concerned that you won’t actually create a proper composite material. You’ll just end up with a bunch of loose fabric noodling around between the maple. You might consider using a really slow-curing, marine-grade epoxy if the foam doesn’t work. I’d use the slow stuff to give you plenty of time during the layup process (West Systems 105/206 is my preference). I’d get the everything prepped, then I’d saturate the CF/FG fabric with epoxy and after that I’d start glueing and assembling everything for the press.

Although, the foam could work. It’s hard to say until you try.

5 Likes

Can you identify or remember the construction of one of your decks just from a pic? The one I have of yours I believe is pretty much perfect weight and flex wise.

It has a carbon skin underneath.

I’ve done quite a few tests on the fabrics with the foaming glue and found that it results in the fabrics responding quite similar to a resin - they turn in to a hardened plank in whatever shape you mould them to - totally get what you’re saying about it being pointless unless it creates that hardened shape through the fabrics.

About a year ago I did a layup test with different glues and epoxy’s between maple and fabrics and found the poly glue to have a great result.

I’ll see if I can find the footage of it.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s a Death-toll that has a custom shape. It probably has 6oz fiberglass on the top and bottom in addition to the carbon-fiber.

2 Likes

So first press went down tonight. Honestly couldn’t have gone any smoother - the shape and contours of the deck work really well with the veneers of the Maple, the veneer is not fighting against the mould so comfortably gets pressed in to shape. All credit to @glyphiks on this one.

I did a dry test first so see how it would compress.

10 Likes