The Dewalt Dinghy

Eeek, a bit tight for my liking. When that strikes your battery will just rip off. Got any smaller packs?

Clone 3ah dwalt batteries are about $25 and super handy to have around anyway. I’ve got a whack of the little 1.3ah ones. Always wondered what sort of range they would give on a little corner shop kicker.

The smaller ones will not be an issue clearance wise.

The 4Ah ones are about an 1/8" above the front truck when it is level. A thicker riser should take care of that.

Too cute

3 Likes

The little ones will be no problem. Can barely see it

The bigguns are well protected in a straight lines but the corners will be pretty close to the ground if it is turned hard. Still have clearance with the wheels hitting the deck which should be hard to do with bushings installed.

So this sat on the back burner waiting for a maker x mini foc that appears to have vanished.

In the 70 days since it was shipped I literally waited for the cheap focer 2 to be developed then ordered and assembled 5 of them. So this is getting a slightly bulkier VESC.

2 Likes

Got it all put together and went for my first ride today.

First 3/4 of the ride went very smoothly and quietly. But shortly after that I think the el cheap hub motor failed in some way.

It would limp along like it was trying to get going but could barely move. Stopped and the motor was quite hot. Will let it cool off and see if it goes back to normal.

1 Like

So after a bit of reading the specs it appears I just ran this motor way past what I should have.

Looked at a bunch of listings on amazon and this one appears to have a typo in the ratings. The other very similar 70mm hub motors list a max current as 12 A but this one matched the other ratings other than listing the max current at 22A.

So nearly double the rated current might explain why it was acting strange. I’ll knock the settings down and try it again.

3 Likes

So dropping down to 12 A the motor doesn’t seem to get hot. But I am pretty sure this motor is toast. Probably cooked the magnets during my little test ride and the KV and KT are fucked.

It barely has enough torque to go up a slight incline. Goes maybe 10 km/hr on flat ground.

So are there any inexpensive hub motors that don’t suck? I think if I want to stick to hubs I will have to go to a dual drive. Might just toss on my beat up 6355 and go single belt drive.

2 Likes

Old and busted. New hotness. This is going to look ridiculous but at least it will have enough power to get out of its own way with my fat ass on it.

2 Likes

Got it all together in time for a test ride by my nephew.

So it is kid tested but not mother approved. Gave him a set of 90mm wheels for his longboard but I suspect he will be requesting I motor use it shortly.

2 Likes

I hope it is okay to resurrect this topic =/

@everyone who has tried something like this:
How did you go about regenerative braking would you need a separate BMS for that?

2 Likes

Cant see the vid, but im super interested on how this worked out!

If you want ANY video concerning this, I found this here:

2 Likes

Regarding regenerative braking I am relying on the voltage limits within the CFOC VESC’s I am using. I doubt it would be an issue unless you started with fully charged batteries and then headed down a massive hill.

Most Eskates bypass the BMS anyways since it kicking out can really wreck your day.

I used this setup on an electric bike that was used for commuting and never had any problems. The key thing is that your controller needs to have some form of low voltage cutoff so that you don’t massively over discharge your battery.

1 Like

thanks! =)