The Carver... My final frontier

What’s so bad about a nice top mount enclosure?

2 Likes

Top mounted enclosures certainly work.
They can be basic like a pelican case. Or works of art like what @glyphiks made for that long haired kid that did the crazy manuals.

It was just not the vibe I wanted for this board…

The ideal scenario would have been an enclosure that fit a double stack… But I was not going to make one…

I think maybe the Kaly aluminum trays could have been the perfect solution. But I could not get Ernesto to sell me some(did not pester him either)

2 Likes

Ok.

Going to chains.

I need the gearing super high for the torque I like.
Don’t need much in the way of top speed so if I graze 30mph that is enough for me.

So I had 12/72 for 6:1 with the belts.
There was enough skipping with the 12 tooth pulley to be a nuisance.
So reason 1.
Stop the skipping and have reliable breaks in an emergency.

And I also wanted to gear up a bit. But I am barely changing… So may not even be noticeable.
Better efficiency would be really welcome.
I really hope it does not get worse.
So going to 11/70 for 6.363:1

I have pretty much this same set up on my MBS board and has worked fine.

Here are the parts I got.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0177VG87S?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

The wheel sprockets had to be drilled for the mounting holes and ground out in the center to not hit the axles.

The wheel sprockets sit much closer to the ground than the belt pulley…

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/FXVJaOwN52TN

14 Likes

Chains are so bad ass - nice work

2 Likes

Here is a short video of me rolling down the street.
I really don’t think it is that much louder…

Oddly it is louder free rolling and when I accelerate the mm motor noise drowns out the chain noise.
https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/DhSfgJlLastN

2 Likes

So the mayden voyage went well.

Most importantly no issues.

And get excited.
It does seem I got a smidge better efficiency.
Ended up at 27.8 wh/mile.
I know, I know that is pretty much the same as 29 or 30…
But I’m excited.
And the no skipping thing sure is nice.

So.
So far so good.

Relive has a bunch of screenshots of the wh/mile through the ride.

3 Likes

If they are freshly lubricated give them a few rides before they sound louder and chainier. Mine are always nice and quiet before t’s dry. Is that WD40 bike lube? Might have to try it.

Looks good.

1 Like

It is this stuff…

I don’t do bikes… So have little experience in chains and such so it was a random impulse buy on Amazon…

https://smile.amazon.com/WD-40-Bike-Lubricante-condiciones-desengrasante/dp/B0183G40AI/ref=pd_bap_m_rp_1/138-1327284-4907717?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0183G40AI&pd_rd_r=e39c6947-9f89-4708-a8fa-f85f87708565&pd_rd_w=IUcPQ&pd_rd_wg=ENgYy&pf_rd_p=880cb9e9-f924-40f4-af2e-67d364af6cfc&pf_rd_r=MAG3G9Q0ZVTT5KMDEJ4N&psc=1&refRID=MAG3G9Q0ZVTT5KMDEJ4N

2 Likes

Do yourself a favour and get proper MC chain lube from Ipone or anti-fling chain paste from Motul.

@kook

What’s your go-to chain lube?

2 Likes

Maxima Chain Wax (motorcycle and bicycle chains… and I use it to lube sk8 bearings, and cables as well…)

however;
we don’t run much chain lube at all on our dirt bikes… but we run O-ring chains… back in my bike drag racing days when we ran non-O ring chains we ran straight WD-40 for minimal resistance, but that shit is nasty messy but fast

I can’t say I’ve used the chain lube @rafaelinmissouri posted, but I looked at its specs and it looks good it’s got PTFE and if it’s anti-fling you have a winner…

EDIT:
what are you guys running as master links? a removable master or a rivet master?

that fukkin’ chain has gotta be flying at 30mph…

4 Likes

So my lube is ok right?

These are the little connector things.

1 Like

Youch a circlip master! Nope, nope. I’d be riveting that shit. @kook might say it’s fine IDK, but chains without riveted master links make me nervous.

4 Likes

Yeah… Your lube looks fine and dandy… See if you like it…

Circlip master links I’ve got to agree with @malJohann on prefering a rivet master link… But keep an eye on it and always carry a spare…

You do know there is a right and wrong way to install the circlips… Ass end facing rotation, not open end facing rotation…

And when you get the chain all clean and tidy put a dab of silicone on the circlip to help keep it in place… Then lube her up…

4 Likes

Yep. At least I did put the open end away from rotation. I had seen that somewhere back in the day.

I’ll look some more on what all I would need to get to get a riveted master…
Not super obvious on Amazon for a #25 chain.

2 Likes

Yeah and you’ll need a chain press/breaker tool as well… Me personally having zero experience with esk8 chain drives… I’d just runn it and check it often

1 Like

He has one. (From above photo)

2 Likes

So… That breaker is too big for the #25… I had to rig it with a little Allen key…
I don’t think it had the press part for a rivet…

1 Like

Ride 2 with the chain drive went well.
15 miles of no belt skipping joy.

And improved efficiency…
27wh/mile.

3 Likes

Pro tip… All chain-breakers sukk ass… We grind the rivets off one plate side… 10x faster

3 Likes