The binding mounting thread

Well, it’s time for me to drill holes for bindings and my search skills have failed to pull up anything useful, so let’s get this info recorded for everyone to use.

Can you all share some measurements of the binding holes you drilled out, or what comes stock on your mtb decks?

Let’s get some pics in here too

1 Like

Im followig this thread as my new board needs bindings.

The easiest way I’ve seen to install them is to, remove enclosure, stand on the board where you normally would and place one binding at a time over your feet, mark the holes with a white pen(any light colour) and then drill. Use a washer on the opposite side to support bolt head and then mount the bindings.

That’s to my knowledge thus far.

@glyphiks u drilled holes for ur chad stance right?

this is what i did for mines. first went out riding to see what foot placement my feet were comfortable at, took pics and then went back inside. i then placed my foot on the board the same way and wrapped the bindings over with my hand, marking the holes with a marker. i then drilled the holes out and countersunk it, pretty simple process although annoying and time consuming. the holes are roughly 8in apart or 204mm but if i was to do it again, i probably would space them out a little more.

2 Likes

i also put some silicone sealant around the holes on top the board before i tightened down the binding so in theory, no water or debris would get through and into the battery enclosure. and no this board won’t be ridden in the rain but accidents happen

Cheers for that, mate. Which silicone did you use to seal up the holes?

Assuming you’re using MBS F5 bindings, they have a hole template available on their website you can use

5 Likes

That template is a great resource.
I also have this taken from the apex/haero bro colab deck. I used this to make diy dampening pads out of 1/4 inch rubber.
Haero Bro:Apex 2023 .pdf (588.2 KB)

1:1 in pdf traced from inserts. Its not perfect.

3 Likes

grabbed it from home depot
just did a circle around both holes and roughly 3-5mm in height and width so that it would compress when i tightened down the nut

1 Like

@ablairlamb @bearlyrecognized thank you guys. This is exactly what I thought must exist somewhere - but I couldn’t find it!

2 Likes

Don’t treat it like a Bible though. I’d mark some grip tape with chalk on a board and go for a ride to see where your feet are moving over the course of a trip. Then fit the binding in a way that covers the maximums. I set my emtb up with the default holes and my feet ached for weeks before I skewed the bindings towards my preferred stance.

Personally, I like them loose enough width wise to be able to rotate my feet but not much more.

2 Likes

Doing the first placement test w/short pan head or whatever wood screws can be a good idea.

If you get things right the first time, all you have to do is enlargen the holes & go all the way thru the deck to use proper bolts.

If you don’t like the placement, the holes from wood screws are small and easy to fill in w/putty or something & you haven’t gone all the way thru the deck

The idea of making some form of picatinny rail or similar adapter for the binding mounts to have some added adjustability has crossed my mind a lot, but to my knowledge nobody has made such a thing & people tend to find good enough placement they don’t feel the need for adjustability.