The "BIG ONE", 5.3kWh BMW i3-module battery trailer build

Hacksmith did a video on this, didn’t look tooo difficult

1 Like

I based my adapter on what he showed as well and I also read on the official communication protocol what needed to happen to make it work.

2 Likes

Pretty neat, it’s easier to use one of the car charging network maps than finding random electrical outlets

^crowd sourced random outlet map

3 Likes

Still a good shout, but clearly no one here uses it

Talk to your Cali friends lol

1 Like

I plan on camping primarily on camping sites where I can get an outlet, so I can charge up the battery during the night.

This is a sampling of a map with all the car charging places marked.

1 Like

Maybe I could get some of the facebook groups to share it around

We all know them prebuilt riders need chargers lol

1 Like

you can also charge wayy faster on car Ev chargers.
You’d trip regular outlets. And probably piss off the starbucks employees XD

1 Like

This is awesome.
Planning to add heater for the pack?

1 Like

I’ve been building the trailer with the aluminium profiles that I got. Made a little sawing jig to help me saw clean cuts.

Feels pretty sturdy.

After thinking of how to make the outer paneling/covering and out of what material, I’ll be making the covers for it out of thick, rubbery tarp.

Not planning for it.

3 Likes

You can use type-2 ev chargers with this adapter. (The ones where you have to bring your own cable) I plan doing a longer trip in Denmark but with very different strategy than you. Fast charging lipo batteries on EV chargers.

1 Like

Close up of the tarp.

Figuring out how to exactly make all the bends. The tarp will be done in 2 parts. One for the bottom and a removable part for the top, so you can open up the top to access the inside space. The top half will be attached with easy release latches, so it can easily be closed and opened.

The bottom part will be attached to the frame with these simple “squeeze” blocks that are easy to use as aluminium profile provides a convenient place to have a nut & bolt attachment

I also got the wheels mounted today.

I wanted the wheels to be placed in the back so that, if the trailer is turned upwards it just about stays of the wheels, so it can’t roll anywhere and stays put, but then be rollable immediately once it starts to get tilted down from this position, as I will most likely need to pull it some distance

It’s pretty simple system with just an attachment block for the frame and a M12x120 bolt that runs through it and fits relatively well to the 6001 bearings on my board’s old 8" wheels.

Couple pics with the battery module sitting in the frame, need to figure out the specifics of how to mount it.

I’ll also bolt the charger to the frame in front of the battery and just providing a simple 3-pin connector to the outside of the trailer, that I’ll have a mains cable for, so I can just plug it into a wall socket, or into a J1772 adapter on an EV station.

I need to order a bit more hardware parts to be able to finish this build. The specifics of the tow hook bar and attachment to the board are also something that I need to enginerd out.

10 Likes

How did you cut your 2020 by 45 degrees, I’m trying to make a 3d printer need to cut some to support the uprights. Thought about that ages ago looks great

1 Like

Well you’ll have a slight egg and a chicken problem, but I 3d-printed a little sawing jig specifically for this AL.profile, so I could handsaw the cuts more cleanly.

5 Likes

Thanks and good luck circlenavagating the globe🌍does it hold it firm?

Hopefully I’ll get to do my first test runs at the end of this week with just the frame of the trailer.

This is more empresive than man walking on the moon. I thought my 11p was a bit big.i did also think about doing it buy you’ve done it Amazeballs

Charger mounted up to the frame and a close-up of the charging cable solution. The connector is a SP21-serie from WEIPU. There is a waterproof cap available for the connectors, which I am planning to buy for the trailer side end, so it doesn’t get filled with water and dust when not plugged in, but unfortunately the protective caps were out-of-stock.

Note that the wiring on the charger side isn’t finished yet.

Gonna figure out the battery module mounting next.

1 Like

Thats awesome work! How will you make the hitch that connects the trailer to the board?