The "BIG ONE", 5.3kWh BMW i3-module battery trailer build

Hey that’s impressive and overwhelming (just the fact that you’ll go after Arctic with your board is insanity), wish you full success with the project!

Are you keeping your current wheels etc? Or planning upgrade to big fat tyres for the deep snow?

Also about ESC, will you be bringing spares or would you consider using something higher end like a pair of Phaserunners fully waterproof?

Got me lot of questions on how your setup will hold on :rescue_worker_helmet:

Also how do you plan your charging? Is the plan to bring as many Wh as possible and go do the trip on a single charge ?

I’m also curious about what spare parts and tools you’ll be packing

2 Likes

now thats just impractical

What is?

Even in summer there is still snow ? Are the road deiced ? If not that would be a no-go for me

I’m gonna go into the arctic circle, not the arctic per say, but if you look at the map below I have marked where the arctic circle begins and where my start and destination points are.

There is no plans for snow encounter on this trip. At least in any major way.

Not doable with any kind of reasonable setup in one charge. I believe I can get around 300km in one charge if I go full 100% - 0% DoD, but I will be charging along the way where I can. It’s gonna be roughly at least 2200km, but I have a thread about this plan here

5 Likes

I was indeed under the assumption that there was snow on your journey (and thought you were taking your board to the Arctic) :sweat_smile:

Any chance to hack a car charging stations network?

1 Like

He needs a 220v capable charger, which Im sure he does since he’s in Europe

1 Like

I have actually already built a J1772 to a normal european AC outlet adapter and the 480W meanwell LED driver is an international AC/DC PSU so it can be plugged into 100-240VAC 50/60Hz. So I believe I will be taking the adapter with me so if I want to, I can use a car charging spot on the trip.

2 Likes

Hacksmith did a video on this, didn’t look tooo difficult

1 Like

I based my adapter on what he showed as well and I also read on the official communication protocol what needed to happen to make it work.

2 Likes

Pretty neat, it’s easier to use one of the car charging network maps than finding random electrical outlets

^crowd sourced random outlet map

3 Likes

Still a good shout, but clearly no one here uses it

Talk to your Cali friends lol

1 Like

I plan on camping primarily on camping sites where I can get an outlet, so I can charge up the battery during the night.

This is a sampling of a map with all the car charging places marked.

1 Like

Maybe I could get some of the facebook groups to share it around

We all know them prebuilt riders need chargers lol

1 Like

you can also charge wayy faster on car Ev chargers.
You’d trip regular outlets. And probably piss off the starbucks employees XD

1 Like

This is awesome.
Planning to add heater for the pack?

1 Like

I’ve been building the trailer with the aluminium profiles that I got. Made a little sawing jig to help me saw clean cuts.

Feels pretty sturdy.

After thinking of how to make the outer paneling/covering and out of what material, I’ll be making the covers for it out of thick, rubbery tarp.

Not planning for it.

3 Likes