The battery builders club

Wouldn’t capital M be mega seconds? I wouldn’t want my welder on that long :grimacing: :joy:

Unless it’s just a joke that went way over my head

1 Like

So it looks like 5 of the cells have a resistance of 36 milliohms, but one has a resistance of 41 milliohms and the other has a resistance of 47 milliohms.

Would that signify that those cells are bad?

1 Like

how sure are you that those numbers are correct? Did you repeatedly test them?

2 Likes

Did you take multiple measurements for each cell, inserting and removing the cell each time and using different slots, to make sure the measurements are consistent?

I’m assuming you used a round cell charger for the measurements. If not, what did you use?

3 Likes

Oohhh….you beat me by just seconds. :grin:

1 Like

I saw you typing and knew I had to be quick. :smirk:

4 Likes

So I think I found the issue.
The center slot in the nese, when slightly flexed outward and then release, and then i check the resistance, the resistance shoots up to like 80.
I then take the cell out and put it back in and the resistance is 36.
So it looks likenit is not making good contact.
What is recommended for cleaning the nickel? Isopropyl alcohol, or lightly sanding it?

I use this setup. I get consistent results with it.

1 Like

IPA is great for general dirt and body oil but not too much else.
Sanding can help if there is a layer of something between the nickel and the cell but I don’t think that’s the problem.

Is it dirty or contaminated nickel or could this just be inconsistent pressure?

1 Like

I know it is not a pressure issue.
So would that leave just the actual nese strip being bad?

Edit: I know this is nuts, but I just scrubbed every surface with ipa and I am getting good readings over like 30 tests of taking cells out and putting them back on. Would this make sense?

1 Like

If there was something non-conductive on the nickel you washed off then it makes perfect sense. :slightly_smiling_face:

Or….

Doing that somehow changed something else mechanically that resulted in better pressure being applied.

2 Likes

spot welding nickel to the cell is recommended.

I’ve never trusted pressure fit connections for esk8 :confused:

1 Like

Does 10AWG make sense as a discharge lead for 10S4P? I’ve got 8 as well but I hate soldering it to XT90 connectors. They’re LG HE4 cells so they’re mooch-approved for 20A continuous each, I don’t need to use the pack at 80A by any means but it could be useful

I hit 50A cont. with full throttle and head wind. 10AWG is fine

1 Like

10 is perfectly fine

2 Likes

cool thanks folks

I do this all the time through 4mm bullet connectors and 12awg haha

battery current or motor current? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Battery

does it get hot? I’m pushing 80 motor amps quite often.

My unity gets warm but it’s not that bad. I would never race this board though, can’t handle it.