The battery builders club

Yep!

1 Like

Alright, thanks a lot! You just solved my last problem to completing my first build, soldering part anyway haha

2 Likes

I checked all the p groups and #5, #7 and #8 are the odd ones. Does that mean anything bad?

It’s late and I dont want to leave the charger plugged in while I sleep. I will try to charge it tomorrow and check the p groups regularly.

Note, I rode it a bit after it around my neighborhood, which is hilly, after came out of the charge.

Is it normal for 3 groups to have differences like that.

1 - 3.86
2 - 3.86
3 - 3.86
4 - 3.86
5 - 4.03
6 - 3.85
7 - 3.93
8 - 3.92
9 - 3.86
10 - 3.89
11 - 3.86
12 - 3.87

1 Like

Not necessarily anything “bad” in and of itself, but it shows something odd.

It’s likely not charging to full if that one group above 4v is reaching 4.2v first and the others are still lower. Moreover, should your BMS be balancing, it’ll take a long time for that kind of spread to balance out with most regular BMS units.

What’s odd is that you had said that the groups were balanced before you closed it up…was that recent? For them to spread like that very quickly would be suboptimal. But if it was a while ago then it may not be an issue.

1 Like

Looks like pack 5 has either a dead cell or a missing parallel connection.

It would have reached full voltage and stopped the rest of the pack from charging, as it’s capacity is smaller.

/speculation

On the plus side, its nice to know that your bms is working.

5 Likes

Should I take that one group out? How do you identify a dead cell in a group? What do you think about 7 and 8?

Should I still try and charge the pack again?

2 Likes

I finished welding the series connection last week end but I installed the battery in the board the day before yesterday and this was the first cycle.

2 Likes

Well in that case you either have a cell that went bad REALLY fast, or you have broken/loose welds. My bet is on the welds, that has fucked me before.

4 Likes

I am guessing I can’t just try and add some weld spots on all the cells right?

Do I have to take it apart and check each cells voltage?

Afterwards, is it safe to use different thickness nickel on 1 group? I used .2 for the whole battery but I might have to use .15 on the one I will remake.

2 Likes

I hope they at least bought you a nice dinner first.

9 Likes

anyone care to move it to the shitty diy thread? I mean I would wait for it to fail first…

2 Likes

It’s a novel idea maybe. All that fishpaper and none between the groups?

2 Likes

how much amps draw one wheels? maybe he will be ok…

Is it the usual place people put their pack on a onewheel? Looks like a bad idea to bend it like this

1 Like

I think its not bend, its built this way. The pack is normally in the foot rests i think.

The lengths that people will go to get more range out of a OneWheel… I dont get it. With that much demand for more range, why has FutureMotion (or anyone else, really) not invested into new form factors that can pack on the range? The market is so clearly there.

8 Likes

One wheel xxxxxr? Yes please

3 Likes

Things that make you go hmm…:thinking:

5 Likes

Like, even the DIY single-wheel kits that we have seen have all kept the same “nowhere near enough space for battery” form factor as the stock onewheels.

How come no one has taken the leap, changed the form factor, and made space for a more serious battery?

When people start wanting more range from their esk8, the natural progression is that they fill the whole space on the bottom of the deck with cells, then double stack it, then move to a bigger deck and enclosure or a top box or some shit. Look at LaCroix and BioBoards. Their progression shows what a smart company does to innovate and match the desires of their customers.

We arent seeing that in the onewheel community though. Instead we see portable chargers and unsafe extra large batteries and shit, that doesnt actually think outside of the existing box (literally).

That battery fender thing is the closest I have seen to someone actually pursuing a change in the form factor of the machine in order to fit more batteries (despite it being a really unsafe design).

9 Likes

@TheBoardGarage would like this conversation