The battery builders club

I have a window

9 Likes

:thinking: my workshop doesn’t really have windows, there is a roof and like 3 walls and one side open. Plus I’d rather not touch the bomb when there is no screen for the countdown.

4 Likes

I have a metal bucket kept next to my fire extinguisher, and the driveway since my workshop is attached to the garage.

2 Likes

I should really invest in one of those ammo cans and some sand…

2 Likes

I was also thinking about going down to the beach to get some sand.

3 Likes

Bucket of sand and a fire blanket if shit gets out of hand, is the usual strategy.

You’re not going to stop it, just stop it from spreading

1 Like

Concrete floor + open garage door to kick the battery out of lol

Can you tell us exactly what happened so we can learn from your mistakes?

2 Likes

Hello
Wondering if anyone has built a 12v battery for a motorbike? Was going to use lithium 3s12p 18650s
Unsure of what chemistry to use lipo or lithium seems lipo is the one that’s used most commonly? Really unsure Any advice welcome

If this is going to be using the cold I would take a look at the a123 cells that hummie is selling

4s lifepo4 works the best for a lead acid like battery
The A123 cells are perfect for this

2 Likes

Is this going to use some factory esc or be vesc based?

I use cells I had for about 6 years now. Pulled the tabs, I might have damaged the cells in the process but didn’t think it was a big deal. I cleaned steel torn bits from the cells with a dremel.

I welded one side and it was fine, when I tried welding the other side, couldn’t even get a good weld on the cell I started on the one in the middle started smoking and heating up. Than I ran and the Bengali fire started.

1 Like

Huh, so you ripped a hole into the cell by removing the nickel?

Did it look like this?

3 Likes

I don’t think so, maybe but it wasn’t flat anymore that I remember.
I have a bunch of those cells I am considering throwing away

1 Like

LiFePO4 is probably the best chemistry to use - It has great burst power output (good for engine starting), long life, very safe, and good cold-weather performance.

The added capacity of li-ion isn’t really needed, and it comes with drawbacks in all the other categories.

1 Like

Yep…warp core ejection sequence initiated :call_me_hand:t6:

+1 on this

1 Like

Have you ever been able to charge to past 48v?

I have the same bms on a 12s9p and the charger went green light at around 48v

No, been busy (and lazy) plan on this weekend.

I have another 2amp 12s charger I’m going to swap the connector to with some xt60’s to see if that helps. If not I’ll take a look at the welds on P group #1 and of all looks dandy then I will replace the BMS.

1 Like

Actually I checked the voltage on the davega and it was just below 48v but I used the voltmeter on my xt60 charge port and it was 52v actually. I don’t know if that is correct :thinking: