The battery builders club

I use this! Never had any problems!

2 Likes

10 Likes

Wireless positive battery lead?

Kidding, super tidy work, I just couldnt find the positive lead but my eyesight is horrendous.

1 Like

Its not done yet lol, positive is on the bottom

2 Likes

Where’d you scoop your fiberglass tape from?

Guys, I don’t like using a spot welder for making batteries. It costs too much, and since I already spent over $2000 on cells I’m just going to save money and go with an easier way.

So I had the best solution to dip and left my battery in hydrochloric acid for about 15 seconds. It’s so powerful, I was able to get my fuses perfectly. Sure it may look dangerous, but it works!

4 Likes

Lol memeing the hell out of that guy who solders cells but anyways outside of that fucking joke i had a question, how do i safely remove nickle from a cell group thats been spot welded on both sides without blowing myself up?

1 Like

Do a pull first, then rotate inwards to the cell itself. It should come off with ease. Similar to opening one of those can of spams but in the opposite direction. Then just repeat.

Got it

all done minus connections

6 Likes

This tab makes me happy :pleading_face:

14 Likes

seeing others with p42as makes me both happy and sad that i dont have none myself XD (cries in p26as)

2 Likes

I’m going with m50as just for the capacity. The amp rating is fine for me tbh.

im building a very fast boi so i need all da discharge, im happy with the p26a tho with the 12s20p i have a 100wh more capacity then the original 12s12p p42a i was gonna go for. i only use low discharge cells on my scoot since scoots dont need a shit ton of amps.

2 Likes

Hey just wanted to see what the communities thoughts are on 3d printed cell holders are. I designed and printed these for a 12s3p p42a pack out of PETG. The cells are physically distanced from each other so no rubbing and possible shorting from the wrap wear. Obviously will be spot welded with nickel later but I wanted to get thoughts?

2 Likes

Isn’t this a bit unnecessary? I’m mean, first of there are plenty of injection molded spacers out there, second these look like a bitch to get off again, third spot welding the positive terminals will be more difficult, fourth lots of wasted plastic there.

I get that people make their own spacers if they need a very specific constellation of cells, but for this just use normal spacers. Also, air is a better insulator than any plastic.

4 Likes

Yes, definitely a little unnecessary, just thought of trying things differently.

1. good point, just enjoying diy
  2. Not difficult at all to remove, at least before spot welding
  3. Spot welding will be more difficult
  4. What do you mean by wasted plastic? Where do you think there is excess? I intended for the sides to provide insulation for the outer part of the shell as well which could also be accomplished thru fish paper as I see in most other builds.
2 Likes

Cells get warm and sometimes hot under heavy load, insulating isn’t a good idea really you need to get the heat out, the cooler they are the longer they will last😊.

These are pretty good.

Instead covering the whole cell, make it 2mm thick on 2 sides
Same result, a lot of less plastic, and much better thermals

Or

2 Likes