The battery builders club

Maybe a general “used battery for sale” thread would be nice for people to throw up stuff they might want to sell, discuss how to sell used packs safely and whatever.

3 Likes

i cry :cry:

6 Likes

Bit of a squeeze lol, there’s an LTT smart BMS under the Unity, then I gotta pack in a fuse/power button/charge port in that open rectangle with the balance leads and power wires running through…but damn does it look pretty so far

11 Likes

If you guys make a fresh battery with a non smart BMS, do you go back every couple weeks or so and check how balanced it is (to make sure the BMS is functioning)? Is that a thing that is done or am I just paranoid?

3 Likes

If its built with known good cells/bms then you should be fine checking it every 2-3 months, but this is all relative to how often you cycle the battery and many other factors. If you see it is not charging fully then you know there is an issue.

2 Likes

So there actually a cheat for that, if it has a P- lead then you can measure the voltage off that and it will cut out when the cells are unbalanced

1 Like

Looks good. Loads of room. I’d be happier than a pig in shit with all that space.

2 Likes

So…
All right kids.

12s4p 30q double stack.

What would Jesus do?

Or

2 Likes

That last one for sure

9 Likes

Right, I forget we bypass these things lmao

I suppose one of those light circuits that @b264 came up with would also work.

1 Like

Well @ZachTetra
That is a pretty good damn compelling argument.
A+ dude.

2 Likes

Does anyone else just randomly get a lot of anxiety at some point in a build? I have most of the series connections on my own pack and all the insulation but I can’t bring myself to do the balance leads…is this normal? It’s not even a big battery and I know exactly how it’s going to lay out

4 Likes

3 Likes

Yeah, I get that a lot. It’s been almost a year that I’ve been building, and I still get anxious about builds during and after. Sometimes a while after it’s been in use with no issue, just gets triggered by a thought.

Wife and I both struggle with anxiety generally, so I guess it was foolish to get into something like this.

But sure, I’ve had that feeling when I’m wiring up balance wires. Sometimes I have to step away.

3 Likes

anything really bad you see
i know there are a couple sharp edges but gonna file those down

gonna start soldering later today

anywhere i should add extra fishpaper other then between the groups?

6 Likes

So far so good, I don’t see anything alarming with the parallel groups. It’s very important to have fish paper on groups directly end to end, it’s nice if you can add them between groups side by side and the very ends of the group. When you do balance leads there should be something under them to separate from the nickel

Edit: Al is right, please show us the positive sides of ask the groups, there’s should be insulation on both faces the nickel is in contact with all the way to the edge

3 Likes

Make sure you have fish paper under any nickel that folds over the shoulder of a positive end. On quick inspection, i can see at least one place that doesnt have it.

6 Likes

I always get extremely anxious before plugging in the balance cable. Even after i’ve checked all the voltages twice :sweat_smile:

11 Likes

yep gonna do so was on my list and cutting it now
thanks good to see nothing alarming and gonna be very careful to isolate balance leads

1 Like

1 down…11 to go.

4 Likes