The battery builders club

:joy::joy::joy:

Hey all, and thanks for the amazing resource.
Before I’d found this place I ordered an Ownboard Carbon GT.
Sooo I’m committed to it now and it will arrive next week.
My question is, is it feasible to add a vesc, and dismantle the sanyo ga 10s4p battery that comes with it, and rebuild it as a 12s3p?
Wouldn’t this mean it would only be able to max at 30A instead of 40A, but at the higher voltage?
It would also decrease the range a little too if Im taking out 4 x 3000ma batteries right?
Is it worth bothering with, or just ride it for a while until I can find somewhere to but 40t cells in Australia and build a 12s3p from those so as not to lose max current?
Thanks in advance, I did search for reconfiguring a battery like this but didn’t see anything sorry if there are many posts like this :frowning:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Clunt

Is there reasoning behind you wanting to go higher in voltage while losing in capacity and range?

As for finding batteries in Australia, paging @glyphiks

@Flasher I was looking for more torque and top speed. I know I can have one or the other with gearing but wondered if by going up in volts, I could get a little more of both? Or does the reduction in Amps mean less torque?
If so I’ll just have to wait till I can afford to go for the 40t cells in a 12s3p config

Do a 12s3p P26A or something

In any motor, the basic principle is very simple:

rotational speed is proportional to voltage applied
torque is proportional to current pulled

The 12s on the motor can take more volts, if all else is equal, it can give you a higher maximum speed.

But the difference in voltage does not affect the torque. To get more torque to go up a hill, you need to supply your motor with more current. A motor that can take more current (and a battery and motor controller that can supply more current) will give you more torque to help you up the hill.

3 Likes

I think you will still enjoy the board as is. You’ll eventually grow out of it and want to go down the rabbit hole. Save your monies for when you do

Also, having an unmodified board means you’re almost guaranteed to have something to ride while you have fun building your dreamboard

2 Likes

So I’ll wait for the 40t cells for sure, cause I wasn’t really wanting to drop any torque.
That was exactly as I expected, but then got confused as someone somewhere else posted that watts is watts… thanks again ( apologies for the deletes, kept posting before I’d finished on my phone)

And I might have a play with the vesc setting to see if theres any more available in the battery/motor. Once that gets here, I’ll put everything to what the motor/battery can take and see if it was bottlenecked any from factory

1 Like

Well yes that’s kinda true. Equal watts is equal watts when all else stays the same.
But
W=A x V
So 10s4p is 40a x 42v = 1680watts
And 12s3p is 30a x 50.4v = 1512watts

1 Like

Not all watts are created equal…if you take a board and bump up the voltage but don’t go any faster you don’t get more watts

That would usually mean something is acting as a bottleneck no?

I meant if you choose to not go faster, I will not go above 30 even if the board could do 50 so me bumping voltage does nothing (same current would be same torque)

Damn dude, I’m coming to you when I need nickel soon. You’re right near my parents

1 Like

Oh…no idea what that means…you mean some like to be snails on powerful boards?

:rofl:

1 Like

I mean some people might, I just gear them down

1 Like

I only have 12s boards. But theyre both with different gearing so I get to decide if I wanted torque or speed.
15/42 trampa speed demon
15/62 mbs electrified monster

Next build will be 4wd so I have both

Edit: I lied, I have a 10s board but it’s just gathering dust

2 Likes

I have a 10s because legacy parts

2 Likes

Soo, if you had this 12s3p, you’d expect it to be capable of a higher speed, but with less torque?
And if it were a 12s4p same cells, you’d expect higher speed, same torque or more? Amps hasn’t gone up going from 10s4p to 12s4p, so does that mean same torque as 10s4p? Or because its higher watts, it would have better speed and torque? Thanks for your replies, mucho gracias

that is my understanding–less cells, less torque. @MysticalDork has a better way of explaining this than me

2 Likes