The battery builders club

Yeah that’s what I am wondering. If all the parts are there for a bigger battery

1 Like

no… it’s gonna be missing all the balance circuits, look under the top pcb
they use the same PCB for a wide range but only populate what it’s specd for

1 Like

Dam. Oh well

1 Like

hmm so basically I just need to remove this last cell and put the negative output wire onto the top remaining cell.

Not too bad

@Scepterr beat me to it

@Skyart it ain’t there

2 Likes

however, you can use let’s say a 12S BMS for a lower S count
you can also use multiple low S count BMS if charge only

2 Likes

Where is a good source for D140’s?

from bestech? if nobody here is selling

1 Like

I would also like to know. My order from litech has been on hold for awhile now. They claim they’re shipping it very soon. I asked for it to be expedited. So I’ll have a handful of D140s mayyybe soonish.

2 Likes

I’ll see what they say to my email I just sent accidentally halfway through writing my address.
I asked what their best guess is for time to ship.

Wish BKB still had em.

The 12th group in my 12s4p is consistently out of balance with the rest of the pack. It dischages and charges slightly faster than all the other groups, forcing the bms to bring it back into balance. What can I check to find out why that would be? This is a brand new pack of Molicel p42a’s with 3 cycles on it.

1 Like

do you have pictures of the pack before wrapping and shit?

Sounds as tho it’s got a bad cell in it. I’d rip it apart and test all 4 cells for capacity

2 Likes

About how much volt difference for one discharge cycle? I mean what’s the max difference after discharge or when the group hit 4.2V.

Not sure how much this picture will help. If you want pictures of anything specific let me know.

Good thing this aint too hard with the NESE packs! Are there any resources you can point me to on how to test the capacity of a cell? I also bought a bunch of extra cells so I might just swap them out and see if that fixes the problem.

Usually around 0.8v, while all the other groups are within 0.2v of each other. Charge is about the same, and it takes a very long time (12+ hours) to get to 50.4v as the BMS does not balance very quickly, and its doing a lot of work to get everything level.

1 Like

You have nese modules right?
Shouldn’t be hard to take the faulty group out and check each cell. Very likely one of your cells are done.
Just out of interest, did you check the voltage of each cell before you put them together?

In general from 0.2V difference between the p-groups your bms will have a hard time to balance your pack.

That would be lame, these are brand new. But oh well, I guess thats why I bought extras :man_shrugging:

Sure did. They were all exactly the same (3.52v, if I remember correctly) except for one which was at 3.43, that I did not use.

That was an overestimated number (I just woke up and dont know what Im talking about :sweat_smile:), in reality the first 11 groups stay very well balanced.

1 Like

Spare cells are never bad :sweat_smile:
Be happy that it’s not the middle middle cell of a solid brick style battery which is glued together with silicon and what not ever :wink:

1 Like

Lots of cheep 18650 lit ion charges out there thay tell you how much thay charge a cell some do discharge tests as well. Or hook up a hobby charger most tell you

2 Likes

What do you guys use to cut braided wire? Bought a big cutting plier today thinking it would slice through, but no dice, have cut in small pieces at each time, maybe split in 10 cuts

Not a big deal, but with the amount of cuts I will have to do it will take a long time

1 Like

Scissors work fine

5 Likes