The battery builders club

What rating is it for? (please be for 8a please be for 8a…)

2 Likes

Sorry man

1 Like

rip 5chr

1 Like

I bought my fuses on ebay. They were so cheap

5 Likes

What’s the scale factor for fuses? I guess 2x is a good number

Thoughts on this one (15A version) for a 12s 8 a charger

2 Likes

150% of rating. Slow-blow.

3 Likes

Why slow-blow? Don’t the electronics on the BMS fry pretty quickly? Do the blade fuses count as slow blow or only the glass ceramic ones?

1 Like

The fuse is there to protect your house from burning down, not the electronics. A slow-blow will be fine as you dont want to replace the fuse if theres a quick current spike when you plug the charger in.

13 Likes

Can I get 2 fuses please? 7.5 sounds good since I charge at 6.

2 Likes

just pm me

2 Likes

I understood that. Just wanted to point out for other people why not on the place where I marked or if you choose the positive terminal instead that you need to use some extra fishpaper there.

2 Likes

The packs themselves I usually seal the ends of the shrink with silicone.

For some prebuilt batteries, I use conformal coating

It all depends on the situation. You also have to consider the possibility of the shrink wrap rubbing a hole in itself under vibration, and water entering the hole.

11 Likes

How do you seal the end of a battery that is too long to shrink wrap? (Unless someone has 520mm shrink wrap). Just flood it with silicone?

1 Like

You can brush neutral-cure silicone onto it.

1 Like

I built a modular 10s7p pack (30Q) a while back that I can disassemble in 5 minutes and pack away in lipo bags for transport/air travel. Don’t have photos of the whole process, but took a few pictures. Each P grp has a balance lead coming out of the 3D printed casing.
Sizing things up:

All siliconed up, shoved in ABS 3D printed sleeves and about to get welded up.

3 out of 10 modules done

The lesson I learnt was: It’s annoying and challenging to keep 10 packs of batteries neatly organized in your deck. It’s a mess in my enclosure. The concept is nice, but the reality is that this didn’t work out as well as I planned. I ended up taping everything together to keep it in place during assembly and to not end up ragequitting. Sure, I can still undo the tape and disassemble my pack but it’s not as ideal of a solution as I was hoping for.

To make it function more like I was planning it to, I’m going to remove the ends of the 3D printed shells, dangly positive and negative wires and figure out a better way to connect the parallel groups to eachother. I want something that makes a satisfying click as I snap the batteries together. :thinking:

51 Likes

If you’re taking the trouble to do all this (thanks), it’s very helpful to see what NOT to do (photos too). Maybe more useful than the good photos.

6 Likes

Getting ready for pcbs and assembly

6 Likes

I’ve got a KWeld rig I’m building, looks beefy as hell. I’ll post when I have it operational and do some test welds.

12 Likes

Thank you! I hadn’t considered this! I’ll do my best to incorporate the bad ones too

2 Likes
1 Like