The battery builders club

Heh, same.

Cycle your battery a few times and keep an eye on charge and discharge uniformity. If group 4 continues to charge and discharge more quickly, pull it out, add as many welds to both sides of the groups as you safely can. Tbh, looks ok though… your delta is smaller as you reach a higher state of charge which is good. If you delta continued to grow and your bms couldn’t bleed off enough to keep it within acceptable delta then I’d be more concerned. Keep an eye on it. These aren’t new cells if memory serves…

2 Likes

Thx, but I think I found the problem. Do I have to strip off the nickel to get that one cell up to the voltage of the other cells in that group? Looks like I forgot to weld the negative side. Positive side looks good. I learned something today…don’t pull all-nighters to finish your battery and ALWAYS double check your work. I love this battery building shyyt🤙🏿

7 Likes

I noticed the more I drained the battery…the higher the delta. But the BMS managed to balance it out while charging

1 Like

Shiiite, I’ve done this before and the same way too. Working after work can really suck cause I’m already drained. I think you need to pull the nickel and make sure to bring the cells all to the same level, before putting it back into the pack.

2 Likes

Yeah I knew that would be the case…well I guess I have to order more strips from @DuckBatterySystems. This sucks I wanted to get started in my 12s4p build this weekend.

2 Likes

Nah, it’s mostly touching anyway. Verify the voltage is nearly identical and weld, then balance. I wouldn’t tearing it off and risk damaging the cells.

4 Likes

Good point, I guess I just assumed it’d be different by now

Dayum…I should’ve waited. Do they look ok still?

1 Like

What’s the delta of the cell that wasn’t welded?

1 Like

They’re all sitting at 4.03

1 Like

Lots of people build batteries (myself included) with reclaimed cells. Should be fine. Just try to get the surface as flat as possible. You can grind but they do rust. Best to try and use nippers/flatten as best as possible.

I can cut you a piece of nickel if you want. I’ve got a bit left over from a 100mm wide roll and you still have the extra 1 from Duck

6 Likes

thx bruh, I’ve already ordered another set from Duck.

2 Likes

I use a dremel and grind away just the nickel that was welded to the battery, but after cutting off as much as possible.

2 Likes

That’s annoying. I would’ve prob just gone ahead and welded the fucker! Lol

In battery building, the devil’s in the details.

3 Likes

I know right. I was going to do just that but then I remembered that post from @Battery_Mooch about cells with different voltages in parallel…that spooked the hell outta me. Lol

4 Likes

Ya I hear it. And I’m always in favour of the adage “if you think it might be unsafe, assume it is until a trusted source tells you different” so ultimately you did the right thing. Solid first attempt bruv :+1:

2 Likes

Hmm…I don’t remember posting about any grave danger when paralleling cells. :thinking:

In fact, I remember doing the math for calculating the current that might flow and it wasn’t that bad unless you had high performance cells with big voltage differences.

4 Likes

Thx…the first of many

Correct but the math scared me bruh…I was thinking what if that cell is way lower than the others.

2 Likes