The battery builders club

Higher charging current, 30A discharge can do 20A charge (vs 20A discharge and 15A charge) and I’m planning on charging at 14A which is a little too close for comfort.

@glyphiks Normally I’d agree about bridging and removing a select wire but I think it really is just the wrong wiring harness and the BMS is a 12s. Not going to make a judgment call until I hear from LLT.

@PedroMcJimenez I figured this was it, will wait for confirmation from LLT.

1 Like

Even if that is the case, you need to make sure you remove the correct wire

1 Like

I’m having an issue with my LLT BMS. Something must be wrong with my parameters, because it’s showing 97% when my 12s6p battery is at 43,8V.
At the same time VESC APP is showing a more reasonable 32%
Which one is the correct one and what parameters do I need to change?

What cells are u using? In any case, the LLT bms isn’t great at telling you your battery percentage and you shouldn’t rely on it. Does it charge your battery to the appropriate voltage?

I’m using Samsung 30T cells and the battery charges fully at 50,4V. Even if a cell gets to 4,2V a bit faster than the others, the BMS stops charging and balances it out.
I think the problem is that it doesn’t seem to know what the bottom voltage for the battery should be.

1 Like

If the bms is bypassed for discharge the cutoff voltage is handled by your controller anyway. The bms’s main functions are working as they should be. My 2 LLTs are closer to what VESC tool tells me re percentage but I don’t rely on them anyway. I wouldn’t worry about it.

If u wanna fix it though I think u change the values for “cell 80% capacity voltage” etc… to the appropriate values.

Ok. Then I’ll just look at the LLT App only for balancing. Are my cutoff points correct in VESC tool?

Ya those setting are fine imo. That’s 3.4v soft cutoff and 3.0v hard per cell (respective values ÷ 12). They’re conservative but fine. I have my hard cuttoff at 2.8v per cell or 33.6. More conservative values will prolong ur pack life.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call 3.4 - 3.0 conservative at all for 30T.

If you look at the graph, right around 3.4V-3.3V is where the discharge curve really starts to take a hit.

Ideally you want your soft cutoff to take place before you reach that plummet in the curve, to avoid any issues of sagging straight through your cutoff window.

As you can see by the graph, the usable energy between 3.0v and 2.8v is two fifths of fuck all anyway, there is really no good reason to have your cutoff set that low.

I leave mine at 3.0v hard cutoff with the intention that if I absolutely need to i can drop it to try and milk a little more out of the pack. I’ve never needed to do that tho.

8 Likes

You can take most any cell down to 2.8 without too much worry. Usable power aside, I said nothing of his soft cuttoff. And if its the difference between kick pushing hm and limping hm I’d gladly take it down that far. Imo of course. Everyone has their own comfort level.

I basically never take my pack below 3.4 in any case so this is all academic.

Edit: *most any good cell

tenor (1)

7 Likes

Its a valid measurement Ben. Up there with a bee’s dick and a cunt hair

9 Likes

Thank god Australians got into esk8

All I’m saying is y’all have a way with words

8 Likes

Doesn’t matter how you put it… the fact of the matter is that my 40 year old legs reach their limit, long before my pack does. So we are spot on! :blush:

Using a cell down to 2.5-2.7v is simply not problematic, and the use of a pack from 3.2v down to 2.8v is entirely serviceable, especially if the board is configured properly.

My recent range test of the UAV demonstrated that there’s a significant amount of usable energy below 3.2v, and to dismiss it, I believe, is misguided.

3 Likes

What poem is that from, Al? Bloody beautiful imagery, that. :joy:

Agreed, and this is important!
A board configured to a hard cutoff of, let’s say, 2.8V can have its cell voltages rise back up to around 3.1V-3.2V once you stop. Even higher if you are using the pack hard. This is the cell’s true voltage.

Stopping at 3.2V, or even higher, means that you are only discharging the pack down to 3.5V-3.6V/cell or so and you are missing out on a lot of extra range.

We always need to mention whether we are talking about voltage-under-load or resting voltages when talking about what we want to discharge down to. Cutoffs are voltages-under-load and how far we want to discharge our cells down to is usually a resting voltage…important difference.

If we don’t specify which voltage we’re referring to we’ll continue to have the confusion, and seemingly contradictory experiences, we see in the community now.

13 Likes

Absolutely.

I’ve been scoffed at in the past (in this thread) about my stance on voltage cutoffs, range, and what some builders and riders assume is a set of practices that will grant their battery immortality if they only ever charge to 4.1v and discharge to 3.2v.

It’s oversimplified, often ignores actual practice, and ends up being detrimental to the custom builder zeitgeist since it seems enough are content to parrot things without much reason.

Repeatably, there are many miles of usable range at standard commuting speeds (10-15mph on a pneumatic wheeled board), on a 12s4p pack, below 3.2v.

This is usable range, and gets a rider home or to a car, where they’d otherwise have to walk.

The Balrog that stranded me, I found, cut out entirely at about 3.1v per cell.

That made me walk 5 miles back to the car in the summer heat, instead of maybe 1 or 2.

The UAV, down to 3.0v, gave me about 3 extra miles at a reduced speed of 12-16mph, after the throttling kicked in at 3.2v.

Considering all of the other things (heat, current draw, simple age) that affect pack life, it’s silly to have much debate for the charge and discharge voltages of a pack that is treated harshly in every other respect.

I’m saying this, in a context where it’s commonplace to see things like “Well the P42A does 45 amps according to Mooch so my 4p is a 180 amp battery so I’ll set it to a 120 amp limit”.

Or maybe I’m just too bitchy…again.

13 Likes

That wouldn’t necessarily negate the validity of your post though. :wink:

10 Likes

Yeah that’s why we keep you around. You’re bitchy enough to open our eyes. I’ve since switched my voltage cutoffs since our conversation and I’m able to get an extra mile and a half of slower riding out of my shortboard with a 3.1v/cell cutoff start and a 2.8v/cell cutoff end.

3 Likes