The battery builders club

If you want a true nominal rating, check out the cell manufacturer’s datasheet or look at the discharge graphs from Mooch or Lygte.

It looks like Duck’s website is using Daly’s official product specifications.

1 Like

Dont get me started about “nominal voltage”, I can rant for literally hours.

Nominal voltage ratings are a real thing, defined by the cell manufacturer. They vary sometimes, but 3.6V is the most common.

However the way that different pack configurations are discussed has absolutely no consistency, and it pisses me off.

6 Likes

Nominal voltages can go fuck themselves with a sharp stick. Sideways. They serve absolutely no purpose except to confuse the fuck out of everybody.

11 Likes

If everyone is confused about the same things in the same ways, then we’re not really confused.

Don’t fight it. Just let it be.

Let it be. Whisper words of wisdom, let it beeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEE (up an octave).

5 Likes

One of the 3s lipos I use as a power source for my kweld has come far enough out of balance that my balance can’t seem to bring it back to within an acceptable deviation. No idea how it happened.

Has anyone openened up a lipo box to charge a p-group etc…? How much hazard is involed?

For referece its a 75C Graphene.

I’ve used a 1s charger before to bring up a low cell. Hopefully that cell didn’t get damaged though! I lost a pack like this due to not checking balance before I started welding

1 Like

Ya since I noticed I’ve been cognizant not to take the overall voltage down too low to avoid damaging the lower voltage cell but I have no idea if it’s already damaged. I def did a few charges without the balancing feature being in place before I noticed as well. It’s pretty odd that it went out of balance at all consideing it’s got maybe 15 cycles on it and many of the charges were using the balance feature. I’m tempted to bin the thing and replace it tbh. $100 ain’t worth a lipo fire

Hey guys, just wondering if these welds look good? When I tear the nickel off it leaves bits behind and holes in the sheet.

3 Likes

Looks good. a bit hot but I find my kweld welds look just like that

2 Likes

Ya they look fine imo. What’s the thickness of the nickel and how many jules u using?

Im using .2mm and 20ms pulse time with a malectrics

I know fuck about shit unless it’s a Kweld. As long as it passes the rip test you should be grand.

2 Likes

That is lower than I used to use but it depends on your power source. They look fine though.

1 Like

650 cca car battery

1 Like

I have a small stock of them now in the US. PM if you’re interested.

1 Like

While charging the current jumps around from 4.1A to 2, the .5 then 1.3…etc. What controls the charging current, charger or the BMS? I’m at work right now and I dont have a volt meter on me but I plan to check charger voltage later. Battery-12s8p P42A charger-4.0A.

The charger, until a cell reaches HVC, then the BMS will stop charging until that cell is balanced, then it will resume charging.

Actual current level is controlled by the charger, the BMS is go/no-go.

2 Likes

HVC?

High Voltage Cutoff

2 Likes

Got it, THX. I have some trouble shooting to do…or my BMS might be taking a dump I was only at 47V also I’ve noticed that my battery is out of balance (more than normal) while charging. Normally it would stay within .02- .04 but now it’s like .08 .09 while charging. The charger plug gets warm while charging as well. I don’t remember the plug ever getting warm. Anyways thx again.