The battery builders club

Yeah, he’s talking about the danger of loose bullet connectors without much protection from accidental contact.

1 Like

thanks fun police.

is it nylon?

4 Likes

made with your mom :tm:

2 Likes

Building a 12s8p p42a pack - so far my shopping list includes:

cells
kapton tape
strapping tape
hot glue stuff
bms
xt90s
10, 12 awg wire
fish paper

where do people buy their nickel and fish paper rings these days?

am i missing anything ill need to buy? (i have a maletrics)

3 Likes

Mboards has some sleek pre-cut strips with tabs, they also do DS staggered for your 8p

1 Like

mboards sells pre-cut 8p strips and they have fishpaper rings also if you’re interested

1 Like

You’ll need something to terminate your charge leads with. I use an xt30 or jst connectors. You’ll also need a fuse for the charge port as well as the port itself. Shrink wrap is optional but I do prefer to use it. Clear shrink can be had on Ali pretty cheaply.

I’m assuming you already have all the peripherals but I’ll list them anyway:

Soldering iron
Quality solder (don’t cheap out here)
Spot welder
Power source for welder
ISP
1mm closed cell foam (optional but again recommended to protect against the effects of long-term vibrations)

What are you doing your series connections with?

2 Likes

Hi guys. I’m after some advice please… This 12s10p 30q pack is about 2 years old (heavy use), and now does this when charging - One bank gets full early so the others never get a full charge. When riding it levels out and stays level until drained (so doesn’t feel too dangerous). Dodgy cell i assume? As they’re old cells i guess I can’t dismantle and replace it with a new one. Am I limited to rebuilding the pack as 12s9p without the dodgy one? Thanks!

is it preferable to get adhesive backed stuff?

does anyone other than apex (preferably state side) sell a charge port like this one? 13A charge port
I dont really want to pay $40 of shipping on a $7 puchase…

Looks like an SP13 or something similar. They’re on amazon among other places.

2 Likes

Yep, probably one cell in group 2 is giving up.

Imo it makes your life much easier. Ditto w fish paper

1 Like

30Q…

2 Likes

After 2 years of heavy use on a 30Q pack I’m not surprised.

I’d start your balancing at a lower voltage and try to make your battery as comfortable as possible during its final season

4 Likes

Thanks mate. I’m nearly finished on the 12s8p p42 build for the transition! That one had a good run though!

1 Like

Weipu SF12 connector is nicer

2 Likes

Try starting your balancing at 3.9V or 4.0V and slow down your charging a LOT so there is less voltage rise during charging (which fools the balancer) and to give balancing more time to work (if it turns off when charging is done).

If possible, try turning on balancing when not charging too…just until the pack is balanced again. Stay close the entire time any charging or balancing is being done.

5 Likes