The battery builders club

The trickle charger yeah I’ve left that on while welding, welding surprisingly brings the battery down quick. I think @DuckBatterySystems does that too.

What size nickel are you using? Cause if it’s .15mm you’ll likely be more than fine.

2 Likes

Yeah cool. I’ll trickle charge as I go then.

Not actually sure how thick the nickel is as Kayde sent some tabs for me with the cells I bought from him. Glyphiks threw some in the package i got from him too so will check thickness tmw as come in from shed now.

Lead acid /SLA/AGM batteries like to be full. I leave my welding battery permanently on the charger, even while welding.

All of the nickel I sent you in rolls was 0.15, but the pre cut tabs vary, some are 0.15, some are 0.2

3 Likes

Great to know thanks!! And super appreciative man. If this little 12s3p goes ok then it gives me confidence to go bigger later.

3 Likes

Cool, I happen to have a Pi collecting dust. I would love a tutorial.

Thx bruh :call_me_hand:t6:

1 Like

A word of caution: if you have a super cheap shitty charger, I’d recommend not doing this. I had this kill the arduino in my maletrics due to some kind of voltage spike. But then again, many people do this without issue, so idk.

1 Like

I have 1 group acting a bit funky, nothing crazy but 0.070v difference after draining it to 3.3v(45%)

its such a big battery its almost a non issue except today i charged it a bit more than I normally do (charger stops a few volts before max voltage), and that same group is now holding more of a charge than the rest. its at 4.19v vs 4.15v on the rest of the battery - this was also a slow overnight charge at 5a

normally when it charges it balances nearly perfectly, so im stumped on what could be the issue. I highly doubt its a weld issue as there are alott of welds on this one, no less than 6-8 welds per terminal

How many cells do you have in parallel? If it’s past like 10p you probably have a broken weld.

1 Like

I’ve been building batteries for the last few years, but just completed my first MTB battery. This is a 12s7p P42A pack for my Haero Bro deck. Thanks @ShutterShock for the nickel source! Will be buying more in the future.

First, I did some layout work to make sure the battery would fit in the enclosure box:

Then completed the spot welding phase:

Balance tabs pre-tinned:

Pre-sorted the balance wires to avoid overlap:

Balance wires soldered in place:

Power leads soldered in place:

Shrink wrapped:

It’s tight, but fits just right!

10 Likes

Nice! That was a pretty quick build haha

1 Like

Yeah, it came together really quick. It was really nice not having to solder the series connections. Knocked it out over the Labor Day weekend.

1 Like

Damn dude, that looks great although I can’t condone soldering the main power leads down directly on nickel over the cells. I always make those connections on a folded over piece of nickel so that the solder heat isn’t directly on the cell.

Something like that. When doing the actual solder join, I place a piece of FR4 under the tab, so that the heat doesn’t just go straight through.

8 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I wasn’t sure how to best go about that. I kept the soldering to an extreme minimum, meaning I tried to be quick and only applied solder in-between the cells. I touched the top of the cells and they only got warm to the touch. Would like to find a better solution for future builds though, because it could get risky if I was careless.

1 Like

Hey same haha

1 Like

After a few hiccups with the K-Weld I’ve finally welded my first nickel tabs :partying_face:. First few were a little overcooked comparing to some welds on here so turned joules down a touch.

At first I was getting undercurrent faults and thought my single lead acid battery wasnt enough so i got another 2nd hand and hooked up in parallel only to get the same faults. Turns out the connections i was using were badly soldered by me :man_facepalming:. I chopped them off and sinply screwed the wire down in the screw terminals of the battery and was good to go. Thanks for you help @Tony_Stark and @glyphiks as always!!

7 Likes

Please somebody confiscate any battery building materials I own! I should never again be allowed anywhere near this stuff! This is way harder than I thought and gives me even more admiration for a lot of you guys on here!!!

Luckily this is only for a low powered, hub motor short board. But part of me is still considering de-soldering the lot and throwing in the towel.

4 Likes

Hehe just need more practice man. My packs also don’t compare to the nice ones on here, but eh we’ll get better

1 Like

When it comes to soldering, it’s all about the equipment and materials. What iron and solder are you using?

1 Like