The battery builders club

I can order a few more, but will take aprox. 2 month until I fly to US again.

3 Likes

Thanks. Don’t order any yet though, perhaps someone else here will have them soon.

3 Likes

I have updated the Recommended Batteries tables.

• There are other good batteries, too many to include.
  • If the batteries you use are not in these tables that does not mean they are bad! Use any battery you want.
  • These are merely my personal recommendations to help you narrow down which batteries to try.
  • Molicels are my choice for “best” for many uses because they are great performing batteries available with recent manufacturing dates. I have not been paid or compensated in any way to say this.
  • These tables only list batteries based on their performance. I have not tested their cycle life.
  • Privately branded batteries (Imren, Efest, Vapcell, etc.) that were tested more than a few months ago are not included as they might have changed what cells they are wrapping. This includes other size batteries like 26650, 18350, etc.
  • For many batteries the differences between them are small and might not be noticeable. Check the Ratings/Performance tables for details.

Recommended Batteries Tables:

18650 Ratings/Performance Table:

20700/21700 Ratings/Performance Table:

8 Likes

I wouldn’t say I’m an expert on the LLT but I know that they use the same housing for several different voltages (e.g. 10-15s). They achieve this by shorting pins internally and changing the wiring harness accordingly. The OP should also be able to find wiring diagrams on the LLT site or emailing James who’s pretty helpful and replies within ~a day in my experience.

Edit: looks like several members already solved the problem.

2 Likes

How many would be possible?

While I’m in the shilling promotional mood:

12 Likes

I’m looking at cells for building my first pack - most likely a 12s5p 21700, maybe 12s6p 20700.

The 40T’s are on sale right now.

What cells would you go with?

side note - if I go with Sanyo NCR20700b, I can fit 12s6p in there giving me 1089wh, but at nearly double the cost of the 40t’s I’m not sure I can do it.

Those are fundamentally different cells and which might be the best choice depends on how much current you will be drawing from each (in addition to what size they need to be). This is critical.

The 50E is an ultra-high capacity cell but you start to lose all of that extra capacity if you are drawing over 7A amps per cell or so.

The NCR20700B’s start sagging a lot (voltage) at about the same level. They are low current cells.

5 Likes

@Battery_Mooch super helpful info. Thank you.

I checked your 40t and P42a test reports. Looks like 40t’s if I want to save a little money, otherwise the p42a is a slightly better choice.

If you need the high-power capabilities of those cells the P42A is a great choice. My ratings/performance tables let you easily compare the actual delivered Wh for different cells at different current levels.

1 Like

It’s only a 5p pack, and I honestly don’t know how much I need, but I’d rather have the current available if needed.

1 Like

According to Mooch’s data at

P42A 12s5p. 150A max
12.4 Wh @ 10A (50A) = 744Wh - 24.8 mi range @ 30wh/mi
10.7 Wh @ 20A (100A) = 642Wh - 21.4 mi range @ 30wh/mi

40T 12s5p. 150A max
11.7 Wh @ 10A (50A) = 702Wh - 23.4 mi range @ 30wh/mi
9.2 Wh @ 20A (100A) = 552Wh - 18.4 mi range @ 30wh/mi

I looked at a few metr logs and found some 2 minute windows on flat ground where I maintained constant speed.

On thanes:

32mph average speed - 29.1 amps average

Pneumatics will use more amps. Also during acceleration or hills I can hit 60A battery amps on this single motor build, so a dual is going to be higher depending on riding style/hills.

2 Likes

Good to see the data - thank you. P42a’s it is.

1 Like

If you wanna save a few bucks you should consider the Lishen 2170LA as well. Comparable to the Molicels but you’ll save about 25%.

2 Likes

I just picked up 100 of these. Better performance per $ than Molicel. ~10% lower performance for ~25% savings

2 Likes

I think they’re the best value-to-performance cost ratio on the market rn. Especially for any pack over 4p.

1 Like

Especially if they’re on sale, I picked up 40 of them a while back when they were on a great sale

2 Likes

Any last suggestions/advice before I complete the circuit for the first time?

Check it with a multimeter first to make sure you put the balance leads in the right order

Also, usually it is advisable to have B- already plugged into the bms before plugging in balance leads

2 Likes

Ooooh yeah that’s a good idea. Totally forgot to do that. Thanks

1 Like