The battery builders club

I taped it up with e-tape, I gotta use this board to go to the electronics store tomorrow to get more kapton and fiber tapes and wrap.

Depends on how much time you have. I’ve got all the time in the world. Which, might only be a week or so, given how things are going on this planet.

Apart from that, I will sit back and watch a more recent history repeat itself in this very thread.
Enjoy, folks.

AFAIK it doesnt matter too much. I put it between the charge port + and the battery + as there generally isn’t anything else there.

Does any one have a good diagram for wiring my battery (with bms) I have 10s4p. Or link to a thread that has one. I know I should just use search, but a lot of them are just people checking if theirs is right and don’t want to follow a bad one.

2 Likes

If you do a google image search for “10s BMS balance” you should get a few good diagrams

I guess I’ll do @b264 's job for him:

https://forum.esk8.news/t/beautiful-diagrams-no-words-serious/15208/8?u=chr1spe

2 Likes

thanks you

just to double check I do ALL the bms stuff after I fully wire all my series connections?

1 Like

You can do it before hand as long as you keep all the groups in the correct order, don’t plug in the BMS until it’s fully done and make all your series connections properly

He’s due for some maintenance. His humor module is clearly broken and needs to be replaced.

1 Like

Lol

For my own pack, I’m just gonna monitor it until it’s unacceptable and replace the group at that point

1 Like

Group 11 is the lowest, so of course it’s not balancing.
The way “balancing” works on a BMS is that it drains down the highest cells, until they match the lower cells. Since group 11 is the lowest, why would the BMS want to drain it down further? Its whole goal is to drain all the others down to 4.074v to match that one.

The BMS has no way to add charge back into an individual group, it can only remove charge by disippating it as heat…

1 Like

Well yeah I get that, and I’ve been watching the other cells bleed off and balance while connected to the charger, but I don’t see group 11 raising while the bleeding is happening. Do I need to change the BMS settings or drain some of the pack charge to get the current to go where it needs to?

It won’t. The BMS has no way to add charge to a single cell. It will bring ALL the other cells DOWN to the lowest one. Once they all match, they will all charge evenly.

Some BMSs will keep cycling the charge fets on and off while the balancing happens, as one cell or another is brought low enough for the whole pack to charge up some more, but this doesn’t help or speed up the balancing process at all really.

1 Like

So just let it sit? Let it do it’s thing?

Yup. It’ll take a while, but eventually it should all end up even and fully charged.
Then you get to drain it, and keep an eye on the individual cell voltages - if one group starts dropping faster than the others, STOP and fix that group. That’s your first sign of more bad welds.

3 Likes

*Passive BMS, active do.

1 Like

Very true.

1 Like

What’s a good starting point on shopping for an active BMS that I can run in direct discharge and has telemetry?

they are 4 times the price of an LLT though…

Not sure where to get one with an app though, but I think you’ll find one.

2 Likes