The battery builders club

yes get a heat gun, you will thank yourself later haha

hair dryers take forever and aren’t as effective

2 Likes

i never had an issue with hair dryers

takes like 5 seconds to do the whole thing

you couldnt by any chance link the heat shrink you got?

Uploading: 20201105_213326.jpg…

Here’s a partly completed pack that I made last year with the blue stuff on it

It didn’t upload properly from my phone bc of poor reception right now

I bought this stuff:

I pretty much gurantee a hair dryer is not enough for this one

1 Like

What’s up with these cells? Not the worse price but have they been tested with esk8? What’s kind of cap is on the negative and can we still weld on to it?

1 Like

will invest in a heat gun if not

thanks man and hopefully i can get some good stuff

This is a prime example of why you wrap P-groups in fishpaper.

11 Likes

anyone in the uk got good links to some stuff
all i can find is the blue stuff

That is a secondary venting disk on the bottom and in my opinion this cell, and any others with bottom venting, should never be spot-welded with anything that can interfere with the operation of the disk. You could also pierce the cell if you welded on the (pre-weakened) line and welding down the venting disk means the cell could burst instead of venting if something happened to increase the internal pressure (internal defect, short-circuit, over-charging, over-discharging, etc.) and the top vent was not sufficient or blocked internally.

This bottom venting is added because sometimes just having a top vent is not enough to prevent bursting.

1 Like

Got it to upload

4 Likes

ah nice

a lot better then mine
looking around on amazon for some better stuff but cant find any in the uk
hopefully some uk peeps can help out

this?

It still doesn’t look great though I prefer the clear stuff now

My pack clean up skills have gotten much better too. The one in the video on Friday is quite nice

That being said this pack pictured here is still going perfectly fine, it’s a 12s6p 26650 pack, pretty large lol

1 Like

nice

cant find anything in the uk

if i order 2 metres and just use extra long strips is it viable?

depends on the heatshrink.

i have stuff that instantly shrinks, other stuff takes a few seconds.

2 Likes

True, I was thinking of the really thick stuff you’d use on batteries, which I had bad experiences trying to shrink with a hair dryer lol

the thin stuff for smaller wires and stuff will work just fine with a hairdryer

A: Make sure the tube is extra long.
B: Shrink the ends first, then the middle.
C: Use a heat gun rather than a hair dryer.

2 Likes

necessity or useful?

can i do this one pack without

Definitely very useful, but you might be able to get away without it.

Try and concentrate the heat on one end first, then the other, then the middle/whole thing. That’s the best way I’ve found to keep the ends from riding up.

Heat gun really helps for this because it’s more directed and focused than a hair dryer.

5 Likes

What about going with 18650 staggered double stack and adding a thicker gasket?

Yeah I was thinking that too but the wheels are already moving to get my new 12S4P 21700 pack done so gonna stick with that.

(Plus this way the new pack will be compatible with both my boards - if I did the 18650 double-stack I’d have to add gaskets to both of them to be able to swap if I wanted to)

1 Like

Hmm… I went to charge my completed battery after a very short first ride and it charged for about half an hour or more then my charger lit the green light and stopped charging. I checked the board and it’s not at 50.4 volts but 45.2 volts (12s). The charger reads 50.4 so could the BMS be cutting charge off? it’s a 48v Daly with up to 8a charge and I’m charging at 6. I have a 2a 50.4 colt charger I could solder my plug onto and try out?

For now I’ll leave it sitting on the big charger and check the voltage later but the fans not spinning so I don’t think it’s charging.