The battery builders club

Just check the height your pack will be with those cell holders. They tend to make the pack pretty big

3 Likes

LMAO, I thought the writing on the box below was you talking about the battery. Was confused as hell and thinking WTF is this guy talking about :rofl::joy:

2 Likes

no, that’s a parallel. opposite polarity is series connection.

not sure i understand the rest of the question.

1 Like

I added nickel across both sides and finished up the packs. Look better?

3 Likes

I’ve built a few batteries its tedious but rewarding in the end.

Next batter build will be a single stack 12s4p for my Charlie horse build. I do have an extra 4 cells I am tempted to go 13s4p but then I have @b264 pop in my head telling me it’s a dumb idea Haha

Biggest battery I’ve made is a 12s8p for my evo

17 Likes

Hello fellow e-shredders,

I’m Ashby, I’ve been eyeing the forms here and over at the old website for awhile now but finally made an account. Deciding to pop my posting cherry here as I’m eagerly awaiting @Zach’s battery builder guide. I wanted to go ahead and get some parts on order to replace the limp dick battery Evolve sells with the Bamboo GT but had a few questions in the mean time about ordering parts. I plan to build a 10S4P pack using 30Q cells and already printed a spacer plate to make room for the larger cells and BMS.

Ordering Cells: I don’t really have a way to confirm fake 30Q cells as I only have a basic multimeter so wanted to roll the dice with a reputable reseller. My research has landed me on Nkon? Are these guys still legit? 40 cells for $146.70 shipped to the usa but looks like it will take 4 weeks. Nkon seems to have several sites is ru.nkon.nl the best to use for USA shipped orders? BatteryBro was the second option but I have to buy a minimum of 50 cells $186.50 +shipping. Can anyone here confirm if these guys are legit? I only need 40 cells, is it a good idea to order a few extra for some reason or another?

Best place for other supply’s such as Kapton, fishpaper, nickel braid, exc? I found most on amazon but wasn’t sure if there was a cheaper site since I have to wait 4 weeks anyways for the cells to show up?

In regards to required AWG wire size for a 10S4P 30Q pack any recommendations? I’ve read to use PTFE wire vs PVC but nothing on actual size. Simi related when connecting each P group together for a super flex bamboo desk what’s the best connection method wire or nickel braid and at what AWG? Most photos I’ve seen use a much lower AWG size than the balance leads.

Thanks for the advice as I continue my research.

-Crashby

4 Likes

ru.nkon.nl is the same side as nkon.nl just for international orders and without tax. They still legit. If it is in stock they as well a good source for nickel and fishpaper. I think @b264 has a good source for fishpaper in US as well. For a 10S4P you good with 10-12awg wires as main leads. If you buy a bms from bestech they come with the right jst plug and already wires connected to the plug. If your pack is not too long this can be already enough. If you need extra wires 20-22awg is a good size for balance wires.

Edit: order like 4 more cells as well. There can be always a bad cell under the ones you ordered and waiting again 4 weeks than sucks. Try to get some old cells from a laptop or power bar as well to try your welding techniques.

7 Likes

145ptags.com is the best source for fishpaper I’ve found in the USA. The site looks like it’s from 2002 but it’s the good stuff and cheaper than amazon.

7 Likes

Where to get fish paper in the EU? I have looked at NKON, but they seem to be out of stock pretty much all the time. Same with the nickel. I have found some at aliexpress but when it comes to shipping, taxes and the extra fee I have to pay for buying from a non-EU country, it is not cheaper than NKON.

1 Like

You can use 14awg, it’s perfect for 10s4p made of 30Qs

Use silicone wire much more durable and it won’t be brittle on the soldering end

2 Likes

Nice I was just going to ask about the smaller supplies of a battery build! I’m gathering for a 12s6p for my trampa and was going to ask about a good source for the nickel strips in the US, and any other small stuff. I have a bms with the balance wires already, if needed to be longer I have a some wire the same size. I saw the recommendation for fish paper just above. I have a few older cells ima practice with before the new cells :grin:

2 Likes

I foresee myself re-doing this battery with fresh cells in the future with a different build technique. I feel like there are probably some weak cold solder joints around here and there, and I want this thing to be solid AF. As much as I tried my best, and as good of experience it was, I think I can do better… Much better. I just want to ride though… So charging for now and gonna hit the streets in about an hour.

13 Likes

I ordered from ru.nkon on a the 23rd of may, got a tracking number the 28th and recieved the batteries on the 30th, “may take 4 weeks to ship”, once shipped, doesn’t take as long. I live on US, was surprised how quick it arrived since it was a thrusday and Fedex said it was arriving the next monday. Haven’t had the ability to check the cells yet.

2 Likes

So, I just made the first half of my 10S2P battery. Here are some pictures. Very nervous process as I was so damn afraid of shorting something. Please let me know if you have any tips for improvements.

One side of the battery

Other side of the battery

I added fish paper around the positive sides of the cells. Even though they are not touching eachother because of the spacers, I added them anyways.

Here are pictures of my welds. They seem pretty ok to me, but maybe I should lower the current a bit. I did 3-4 welds per cell.

1 Like

No need for them :upside_down_face:

btw: the way you cut the corners of the nickel is strange

2 Likes

Yes I know haha. I kind of tried to make the have not sharp corners, but it looks pretty shit. I still do not know the good way to cut the corners. Got any advice for me?

1 Like

Yeah you should have rotated the first two nickel squares by 90 degrees.
Now your battery won’t work as well.

Other than that it looks good. The fish paper wrap is unnecessary with your setup.

I cut the nickel corners in a curve.

1 Like

I see, I had no idea that it affected the performance. In which way exactly does it do that? The reason I did it that way was because of my welder. It is stationary so I was not able to fit it in under the welding probes. I therefore turned it around so I could weld from the sides.

1 Like

Well played sir. Well played.

1 Like

The thing with cutting corners is that you don’t want the nickel to bend in the gap between the positive terminal and the negative body. So either you cut the nickel to finish at the round of the positive terminal or you let the nickel long enough to lay on the outer ring of the cell. Like here it’s not that good

In this case how you did it on the cell above would be better.

One tip to not short anything while welding, cover all parts you not work on with masking tape. For example

Even there I could have covered the row I don’t work on, but as it was the first row I did it wasn’t a big problem.

5 Likes